Monday, October 3, 2011

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles and Pumpkin Painting


3 weeks until baby Emmett arrives. I cannot believe how quickly this pregnancy is going by. I'm lucky, I didn't have any problems at all. I have zero complaints (actually, I have zero complaints about my first pregnancy as well). The need to keep busy and get things accomplished, even if they are silly things, is increasing though. Today, I baked pumpkin snickerdoodles and a pie (not to mention breakfast, lunch and dinner). Yesterday, I carved pumpkins, roasted seeds, made hummus, and bread (plus grocery shopping). There is not a dirty dish in this entire house and the fridge has been emptied out. I actually stand around washing and re-washing the countertops for no reason at all and I plan to start laundry here in a bit. I might be losing my mind, so keep an eye on me please. hehe

I pinned this idea a while back (from Renee Simmons).
Originally from here.
I just used plain ol' material paint because I couldn't
find puff paint.

Anyway, the pumpkin snickerdoodles are delicious. I've already made them twice. I would rather make these than a regular snickerdoodle any day. Not because they taste better, they are different from each other and both are great, but because they are easier to bake in my opinion. When I bake regular snickerdoodles I find that it's easy to overcook or undercook them. With these, the pumpkin keeps them moist, so as long as they are completely cooked through (just push the top and see if it gives or not) they are done and will not be dry. I found this recipe at Greens and Chocolate a while back and pinned it. Check it out! :)

Mix the dough
Make the cinnamon/sugar topping
Flatten the cookies a bit
Very moist and yummy!
Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
Serving Size = About 15 - 18 cookies
Original Recipe: Greens and Chocolate
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Topping:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (just greasing the pan works as well).
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and beat until combined. Add the pumpkin and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
  4. For the topping, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. 
  5. Scoop out balls of dough (about 1 tablespoon). It will be very sticky, but it gets easier as you go. Roll the balls in the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Place them on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart and flatten them a bit with your hand.
  6. Bake for 9 - 10 minutes (mine took longer, about 15 minutes), or until the edges are golden and the top has set (meaning it isn't soft any longer). Note: In my opinion, it's harder to overcook these than the traditional snickerdoodle. The pumpkin keeps the cookies moist, so do not undercook.
  7. Let them cool of the baking sheet for about 3 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.

11 comments:

Alison said...

Yum, these look amazing! I am definitely going to try baking them. But at the rate cookies go in my house, I will have to quadruple the recipe.

JCRHarris said...

These are so being made at my house this weekend. They look delicious! Mmmmmm... fall :)

Alea Milham said...

YUM! My two favorite cookies combined into one! Your pumpkin looks great - I love the effect of the paint and it will make a great decoration all the way through Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing your cookies with the hearth and Soul Hop.

Swathi said...

Pumpkin snickernoodles sounds delicious. love to try them. Thanks for sharing with hearth and soul blog hop.

laurie said...

I love that combo..they look delish!

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks delicious lovely flavour snickerdoodles
thank you for linking food palette series rainbow colours

Jenn Erickson said...

Mmmm...I love snickerdoodles and all manner of pumpkin desserts, so your cookies sound positively fabulous!

Your pumpkin turned out beautifully too!

Wishing you a healthy remainder of your pregnancy and an easy, joyful delivery!

Thanks for visiting me at Rook No. 17.

Jenn

Barb @ A Life in Balance said...

I love snickerdoodles, and including the pumpkin is a great twist. I definitely need to put pumpkin on my grocery list.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your pregnancy and that you have so much energy! That is wonderful! What a lovely variation on traditional Snickerdoodles, one of my favourite cookies, this recipe is. Thank you for sharing this wonderful seasonal recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Taylor said...

Mmmm you're making me crave these again!! Yours look like they turned out perfectly :)

Unknown said...

Best overall, low fees -Binance support.Real time data streaming -Bitstamp support.Best Security -Blockchain support.Best Trading Experience -Bybit support.Best for beginners -Coinbase support.Get Started Easily -Ftx support.Quick and easy way of trading -Kukoin support.Crypto on your schedule -Luno support.Leverage Master -Phemex support.Best For Altcoins -Uphold support

Post a Comment