Friday, November 30, 2012

Ambrosia Salad


We had a very nice Thanksgiving last week. Below is a picture of the table setting at my parent's house.


I was in charge of many dishes this year, most of which I've already posted, but here is a fruit salad recipe that I haven't shared with you. My favorite thing about this salad is that it doesn't require any instant packages of anything. The only problem I ran into was that I couldn't find all of the fresh fruit I wanted, so I did have to sub out with canned. Always try to get fresh whenever possible, but in a pinch, canned works as well.

Another great thing about this side is that you can add just about anything you want. You certainly don't have to stick with the same ingredients each time.

Ambrosia Salad
Serving Size = 8 - 10
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 8 ounces sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped pineapple
  • 1 cup grated sweetened coconut
  • 1 1/2 cups apple, peeled, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped pecans, or walnuts
  • 1 cup mandarin oranges 
  • 1 1/2 cup grapes, sliced in half
  • (you can add marshmallows, but I don't)
  • ---- Note: The fruit measurements are rough, adjust as needed ----
  1. With a mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat together the heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Mix in sour cream until just combined.
  2. Mix all of the other ingredients together, then add the cream sauce. Mix.
  3. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

1 comment:

France@beyondthepeel said...

This is my step mother's favorite Christmas dish. We have it every year we do Christmas together.

Post a Comment