Friday, September 2, 2011

Quinoa Breakfast -- a MUST try!


Ok folks, it's time for the best breakfast ever. Say goodbye to oatmeal forever. I saw this recipe on Beyond the Peel (if you haven't been to this blog, check it out, I LOVE it) and I knew I would make it the next morning for breakfast. My toddler and I inhaled it. And even though my knowledge of oatmeal is limited, I'm still 99.9% sure this is MUCH healthier than oatmeal. I did make a few changes though, because I didn't have the fruit that the recipe called for, but you can use any combination you want. Today, we used blueberries (organic), slivered almonds and brown sugar. You could also use dried cranberries, honey (to replace the sugar), walnuts, raisins, peaches or any other combo that sounds good.

I will be going out today to stock up on quinoa (buy quinoa in bulk to save money, a tip from Beyond the Peel) because I know this will be our breakfast every morning. I tend to find a breakfast item I like and then eat it for weeks. Also, another Beyond the Peel tip, if you are lazy in the morning (and I tend to be), then you could make the quinoa the day before, put it in the fridge and then the next morning just add the milk, fruit and heat it up real fast. It only takes 20 minutes to make, but in the morning I'm either wanting to lay around for a while, or I'm in a hurry for an appointment. I plan to make some tonight for  breakfast tomorrow morning.

PS: If you're not a quinoa fan, or are new to it, I think this would be a great recipe for you to try.

Quinoa Breakfast
Serving Size = 1 big serving, perfect for my toddler and I
Original Recipe: Beyond the Peel (I altered the recipe slightly)
  • 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/2 teaspoon or so of cinnamon (I just eye it)
  • 1/4 teaspoon or so of vanilla (eye it)
  • 1 teaspoon or so of oil (I used grapeseed oil)
  • A few teaspoons of brown sugar or honey (I just add to taste)
  • Some warm milk
  • Slivered Almonds
  • Blueberries
*Use any fruit/nut combo you want. Also, the original recipe said that you could serve it with yogurt as well.
  1. Over medium high heat, add the oil and then toast the quinoa for a few minutes, while stirring. It will start to smell nutty and begin popping. Add the water, cinnamon (original recipe added the dried fruit at this point, but I will probably add mine towards to end to keep that chewy texture, it's up to you), and bring to a simmer, cover and turn the heat down to about medium low to keep a simmer but not a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes, checking in the last 5 minutes or so.
  2. When done, add a tiny bit of vanilla, the sugar (add before the milk so it melts with the heat), some milk and mix. Pour into a bowl and add the fruit and nuts or any combo you want. I will say, you need to add warm milk or make sure it warms in the pan with the quinoa (what I do). This isn't oatmeal, which is lava-like after you cook it and never cools down, this will get cold if you add cold milk.

You can also find the Beyond the Peel blog link under my "Blogs I Adore" tab at the top.

18 comments:

France@beyondthepeel said...

Blueberries are such a great addition. Full of antioxidants,a great low calorie filler and sweetener. I'm so glad you liked it. We make it for guests sometimes. A new breakfast restaurant that opened up down the street is also serving a version of breakfast quinoa on their menu. I guess it's getting popular.

Food Glorious Food! said...

Wonderful wholesome breakfast! Thanks for sharing dear!

Anonymous said...

I've never had quinoa for breakfast. What a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Elsa, your enthusiasm is contagious! I've only tried quinoa once before (also for breakfast) and was not a fan. I'm willing to give it another try though and I admit this does sound good. And healthy!

Amy said...

What a unique breakfast and healthful treat! I gotta try your recipe soon. Vanilla, cinnamon and honey sounds like a winning combination of flavor! :)

Kate said...

I don't like breakfast but I am more jealous that you can get Mila to eat something other than chicken nuggets. grrr

Ann Jones said...

Thank you for this recipe! I bought a large bag of quinoa and have used a large bit of it for dinners, but still have a bunch left. This recipe would be perfect and I have peaches that I canned last month that would go great! I'm definitely going to make this, thanks!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This does look good and I've never tried quinoa for breakfast before. Thanks for the inspiration!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I have to try this. What a healthy, wholesome way to start the day. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

Zoe said...

Sounds like a great breakfast idea! It seems like a trend lately to cook and eat quinoa.

kitchen flavours said...

I have never tried quinoa before, simply because I could not find it anywhere! This looks so healthy and good, a great breakfast!

Unknown said...

I've been looking to break into quinoa and this looks like just the trick! Thanks for bringing it to Friday Potluck.

Anonymous said...

It's a winner in our house. We made it this morning with inca red quinoa, dried cranberries, and pecans.

Vicky said...

Thanks for visiting my blog...I haven't tried quinoa for breakfast, this looks so healthy. I must try it!

Alea Milham said...

We have been eating quinoa for years and it never occurred to me to cook it for breakfast. This is one of those " I could have had a V-8 head thump" moments. Thank you for sharing this recipe with the Gallery of Favorites. It looks warm and comforting - perfect for a cool, fall morning!

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I can't believe I still haven't tried quinoa! This sounds like a fantastic recipe to start with - what lovely flavours! It is wonderful when something this good for you has so many delicious ingredients. Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites.

Unknown said...

cheap oakley sunglasses
salvatore ferragamo
valentino shoes
air jordan shoes
christian louboutin outlet
herve leger
ralph lauren outlet
swarovski jewelry
louis vuitton handbags
nike air max uk
true religion canada, http://www.truereligionjeanscanada.com
roshe run men
ralph lauren outlet
michael kors outlet
miami heat jersey
mcm bags
foamposite shoes
coach outlet online
toms shoes
los angeles lakers jerseys
new york knicks jersey
lebron shoes
cheap nfl jerseys
barcelona jersey
tiffany and co
michael kors uk outlet
tods outlet
ugg boots, http://www.uggsoutlet.us.org
pandora charms
ferragamo shoes
tory burch outlet
custom mlb jerseys
five fingers shoes
michael kors outlet online
snapback hats
michael kors outlet, http://www.michaelkorsoutletcanada.in.net
air max 90
chicago blackhawks jersey
2015813caihuali

Unknown said...

thiet ke noi that nhà chung cư căn nhà ngày nay đang là phong trào phát triển bậc nhất của các doanh nghiệp sắp đặt đồ dùng trong nhà tại các thành phố lớn. Mật độ dân số tăng cao đồng thời khoảng không đất ngày càng thu hẹp việc vững mạnh các ngôi nhà ngày nay đang góp phần thúc đẩy hàng loạt ngành xếp đặt trang tri noi that trọn gói hoặc thiet ke noi that phong khach , noi that phong ngu , noi that nha bep , noi that phong an, noi that van phong ... Chính vì vậy đời sống dân cư ngày một được nâng cao và nhu cầu sống cũng vậy người dân nhất thiết một cuôc đời thư thái, tiện ích ngay trong trung tâm thành phố tuy nhiên song song khoảng trống xanh là điều cần phải có giả dụ chủ căn nhà muốn có sức khỏe tốt.

Post a Comment