Thursday, February 3, 2011

BBQ Sauce and Beef Ribs


Let me start by saying that I didn't measure the BBQ sauce at all. I just tasted as I went. I tend to like BBQ sauce that is spicy with lots of vinegar and very little sugar (still sweet, but less than most). So adjust the seasoning as you see fit. I used my indoor grill pan, so I didn't get as much charring as I could get if I used an outdoor grill, which is a plus for me. I am not a fan of overall charring, but I don't care for uncooked sauce either. I like mine right in the middle, so I make sure they get a few black spots and then I stop cooking them.

Did you notice the naked rib? That's for my toddler. :)

By the way, I learned something new yesterday. I can now cut the back of my own hair. Yay! I'm always bitter when I go to the hairdresser and pay $20 for them to cut a few centimeters off the back of my hair. I don't have layers, short hair, or anything complicated. My hair is very long, fine and straight. So, I went to youtube and found THIS VIDEO. And it worked! Double Yay! *Happy Dance*

Ok, happy dance over, let's get to the ribs. :)

Grill the ribs.

BBQ Sauce and Beef Ribs
Serving Size = 6 ribs, with a little bit of extra sauce leftover

Sauce
  • 1 cup ketchup (high fructose corn syrup free. In the future I am going to attempt making my own)
  • 1 teaspoon or so of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon or so of paprika (I used sweet Hungarian)
  • Dash of garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon or less of ground cumin
  • Salt/Pepper
  • 1/8 - 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
  • 2 or 3 teaspoons of hot sauce
  • 1 tablespoon or so of brown sugar
  • About 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
Ribs
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 3/4 cup apple juice
  • Water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  1. Ribs: Cut the beef ribs in half. Place into a large stockpot, add the liquids and salt and then cover the rib the rest of the way with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium or medium low to keep it at a gentle simmer. Simmer for 1 hour or until the ribs are tender (you could probably do this in a slow cooker on low heat, but it will take a lot longer.... I haven't tried, but maybe 3 or 4 hours?). Remove from the liquid, cut them into individual pieces. I let them cool a bit.
  2. For the Sauce: Combine the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat up so that the sugar melts and the flavors combine, but do not boil. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Turn off the heat and set aside.
  3. And back to the ribs: Heat the cast iron grill over medium heat and brush it with oil. Brush some BBQ sauce on one side of the ribs, place that side down onto the grill. Brush BBQ sauce on the other side. Cook for about 5 or 6 minutes. Turn them over and re-brush with BBQ sauce. Cook another 5 or 6 minutes. At this point you can stop. The sauce should have thickened a bit and there should be some dark grill marks. I like to brush my ribs one more time, cook a few minutes and then repeat on the other side. 

6 comments:

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

These ribs look wonderful! Ribs are always such a treat.

Brownieville Girl said...

This post makes me think of summer - how I wish it were nice and warm!!

They look delicious - I'm a more vinegar than sweet girl too!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elsa,
Oh Yum...Beef Ribs with BBQ Sauce is sure one of my favorite dishes. It will warm us on this cold winter day it looks delicious. Thank you so much for bringing them to Full Plate Thursday. You have a great week end and please come back!

kitchen flavours said...

The ribs looks absolutely delicious. Got to get the grill, it has been on my list and the only way to get off the list is to get one!

teeppe said...

o6l10b2n76 v6s54h2m55 g8e64k5r99 d1i21u9j77 m5k02g9k38 u4z20q5x48

thoashe said...

r9f96a6u74 a7h59y3i60 c1v18k0e07 f4x50t4l60 s5o51o5e81 m1f99v2k94

Post a Comment