Saturday, November 13, 2010

Braided Cardamom Bread


Finally, it happened! I went grocery shopping and found cardamom on sale! To celebrate, the first thing I made was braided cardamom bread. It's a sweet bread, but it isn't overly sweet and cannot be compared to a cake. The amount of sugar is fairly low. I think it tastes best served warm, with butter, because almost anything else masks the flavor of the cardamom. The only problem I had with the recipe is that it didn't have enough milk and the dough was a bit dry. Even though I added more milk, I didn't add enough because I was nervous about ruining it. Next time, I will add more milk and it will be perfect. Even though the dough was dry, it still turned out very moist. I will be making this again.

Dough cycle finished. If you look closely you can see specks of cardamom.
Break the dough into 3 balls and let rest for 10 minutes.
Braid the bread and cover until doubled in size.
Doubled in size....
Brush the bread with milk and sprinkle on sugar.
Let cool.
Artistic close-up! :)
Braided Cardamom Bread Recipe
Original Recipe
Serving Size = One 14-inch braided loaf
  • 3/4 cup of warm milk + extra for brushing the bread
  • 1/4 cup of sugar + extra for topping the bread
  • 1/4 cup of butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
  1. Place 3/4 cup of milk, 1/4 cup of sugar, butter, salt, cardamom, 1 beaten egg, flour and yeast into the bread machine. Select dough cycle. My dough was a little dry, so I added a bit more milk while it was mixing.
  2. When the cycle is complete, remove the dough to a lightly oiled surface and break into 3 balls. Let rest for 10 minutes.
  3. Roll each ball into a 14-inch rope. Lay the ends on top of each other and press them together, then start braiding the bread. Do not over think it. In fact, try to think of something else or you will forget how to braid. :) Press the other end together so that both ends are solid and the center is braided.
  4. Cover and let rest until doubled in size (30-40 minutes). 
  5. When doubled, brush the bread with milk and sprinkle on a light coating of the sugar.
  6. Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes. If necessary, cover with foil in the last 10 minutes to keep from over browning (I didn't need to though).

9 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Oh my gosh, I can almost taste it from here...I love the thought of cardamom "sweet" bread, I think I'll be trying this soon :D

Cheerful said...

wow, this looks so yummy and nice to see it braided...happy weekend! :)

Unknown said...

How beautiful! I love the flavor cardamom adds, and the bread? YUM It would be gone in about 5 minutes flat. Thank you for sharing with Friday Potluck!

Anonymous said...

I love that this is a bread machine recipe!! Makes it so much easier. :o) This reminds me of the bread my Swedish grandmother used to make at Christmas. I love cardamom. Thanks for sharing!

Melodie said...

What a beautiful bread. I love cardamom in breads. Thanks for sharing over at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays!

maria said...

Hi Elsa,

That recipe reminds me the Greek recipe for "Tsoureki". But instead of cardamon the recipe has mastiha (if you konow mastiha of Chios island) and mahlepi. I will try it with cardamon. Have a nice Week!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love cardamon, and this bread looks devine. I will have to try to convert it to a gluten free recipe.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I really like that you can make the dough for this in the bread machine! What a lovely seasonal recipe - cardamom is perfect for this time of year. Thank you for sharing it with the Gallery of Favorites.

Anonymous said...

hermes birkin bag
curry shoes
adidas yeezy
goyard handbag
off white nike

Post a Comment