Monday, January 23, 2012

Portobello and Kale Pesto Pizza


If you're tired of eating the same type of pizza, this one is a great alternative. I was originally inspired by the Brown Eyed Baker but ended up straying from the recipe, not because I wanted to, but because I didn't have the ingredients. I went grocery shopping and forgot the basil. So, I had to think of an alternative and I remembered that I made kale pesto, and I did have kale, so there ya have it. :) I really thought my toddler would hate it. She wanted a bite so I gave her a small piece and while chewing she kept saying, "Mmmm!"

Now, the taste of kale is strong so if you're not in love with kale then you will not fall in love with this pizza either. Also, don't go too crazy with the garlic, it can get pretty strong rather quickly (meaning I went a little crazy with it hehe). My favorite thing about this pizza though is the color. The green is so vibrant and it remains that way even after cooking.

By the way, my little man is 3-months now! And he learned something new in the last few weeks. He can now roll over. It's hilarious because he rolls from his back to his belly and then gets made about it. So I flip him back over, and before I know it he's flipped back onto his belly and he's mad again. hehehe Too cute! 




Portobello and Kale Pesto Pizza
Serving Size = 1 18-inch pizza
  • Kale Pesto, click here for recipe, the recipe is for 2 cups but I only used 1 cup
  • 1 18-inch pizza crust, click here for recipe
  • 2 or 3 Portobellos, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons or so of butter, or oil (EVOO)
  • Mozzarella, shredded, to taste (at least 2 cups, I went a little heavy)
  • Parmesan to taste
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  2. After pre-cooking the crust, spread on the kale pesto. Saute the mushrooms and onions in a saute pan over medium heat. Once softened, add to the pizza. Top with cheese or extra Parmesan.
  3. Cook until the cheese melts and browns a bit. If you want the crust to remain soft, simply slide an extra pan under the pizza pan.

3 comments:

Elpiniki said...

Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous pizza! I happen to LOVE kale. I never thought of putting it on pizza. Great idea! Mmmmmm.........

Alea Milham said...

We love kale and mushrooms and ... this just looks like an awesome combination of flavors!

Post a Comment