Friday, January 27, 2012

Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Candied Pecans


My mom had to have knee surgery a few weeks ago, so I decided to bake her a cake. I was originally going to bake a plain ol' yellow cake, but then I happened to see the Christmas edition of Bon Appetit and they featured a gingerbread cake. And she loves gingerbread. Perfect. :) Then I got creative and did my own thing. I found a cream cheese icing recipe over at Cinnamon Girl, and then decided to make candied pecans and sprinkle them on top. I did sneak a tiny piece from the cake and it was delicious, but I couldn't cut into the cake for a picture. Ok, I could have and almost did but..... it's not my cake so I decided to leave it together. Mostly for the "wow factor." Yuuup, a Storage Wars reference... or two....  I'm probably the only person that watches that show.... 

Also, there will be some changes on my blog in the next few weeks. I will let you know before anything happens, of course. :)





Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Candied Pecans
Serving Size = 18-inch round cake
Adapted from: Bon Appetit, December 2011
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup mild/light molasses (I used full flavor)
  • 1 large egg, beaten to blend
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat an 8-inch metal cake pan (I used round) with nonstick spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper, then spray the paper as well.
  2. Mix together the flour and next five ingredients in a bowl.
  3. Place butter in a large bowl and add 1/2 cup boil water. Mix until the butter melts. Whisk in the sugar, molasses and egg. Add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
  4. Pour into the prepared pan.
  5. Bake until tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack. Let it cool and remove the parchment paper.
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into pieces, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar, more if needed 
  1. Beat cream cheese until fluffy, gradually add the butter and powdered sugar.
Candied Pecans
Click here for Candied Nuts recipe. 
I used chopped pecans and had to cut the recipe down to this:
  • 1 egg white with a splash of water (I only used half of this)
  • 1/8 cup brown sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  1. Mix together, spread onto a greased baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven (250F) for about 40 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Assemble:
After the cake cools, spread the frosting over the top. Sprinkle on the candied pecans.

5 comments:

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

Your gingerbread cake sounds so yummy! I love the candied pecans too. What a lovely treat. Thank you for sharing it with the Gallery of Favorites.

Alea Milham said...

What a lovely cake! The gingerbread cake, icing and candied pecans seem like theywere meant to go together. Thanks for sharing it with the Gallery.

P.S. I hope your mother is making a quick recovery!

Elpiniki said...

Hope your mother feels better! Great cake!

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Oh, this sounds wonderful! I too like to bake things for family and a cheer-me-up :)
Hope you ahve a great day!

chenlina said...

chenlina20160126
lebron james shoes 13
louis vuitton handbags
adidas superstars
tiffany and co
coach outlet store online
tory burch sale
the north face outlet
michael kors outlet online
ugg boots
cheap air jordans
gucci outlet
ralph lauren uk
cheap air max
beats by dr dre
toms shoes
ugg outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors uk
nike trainers uk
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet online
hollister clothing
true religion outlet
cheap uggs
louis vuitton handbags
gucci shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
ugg outlett
polo ralph lauren
uggs outlet
nike roshe run women
coach outlet store online
louis vuitton handbags
abercrombie and fitch
michael kors bag
kevin durant basketball shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
jordan retro
cheap ray ban sunglasses
as

Post a Comment