Friday, January 20, 2012

Sauteed Duck Breasts with Cherry Sauce


I didn't realize this until just now, but sauteed duck breasts with cherry sauce would be the perfect Valentines Day dinner, right?? I got this recipe from one of my new books and you'll find the review below. But first, I want to discuss the food. I did change the recipe slightly, so if you buy the cookbook you'll see a slightly different recipe. What I love about this meal is that it sounds/looks/tastes very gourmet and is extremely easy to prepare. The cherry sauce is very mild, which I love. If it was loaded with cherry flavor then no one in my house would touch it. Fruit with a savory dish is usually a giant turn off around here. The sauce is sweet with a bite from the vinegar, and a slight hint of cherry. The duck is cooked perfectly with a crispy yummy skin. Just remember that duck should be cooked medium-rare to medium but no more or it will be tough.



As promised, here is my book review on Meat by James Peterson. I'm going to keep this short and to the point.... hopefully. :)

First, if you're a beginner to all things meat, then this would be a great place to start. If you're already advanced, skip this book. It is a quick read because he doesn't provide a massive amount of details on each type of meat. For example, he explains the different types of duck, compare/contrast, how to cook them, and then a few recipes to get you started.

What I love the most about this book is that if you're a germaphobe (and I am) and you fear raw meat (and I do), this will help put your mind at ease. He undercooks his meat too much for my taste (he cooks chicken to an internal temp of about 145F), but he explains why he does this, which I find helpful. He explains that the bacteria on chicken is usually only on the outside and dies at about 137F. So, if the middle of the chicken is undercooked you probably won't get food poisoning as long as the outside is cooked. Of course, he's not saying undercook your chicken, obviously you need to cook it through and use a thermometer. Anyway, the point is, it's not THAT easy to get food poisoning from meat that is undercooked. But IT IS EASY to get food poisoning from raw meat, before it's cooked, and from cross-contamination. This really puts my mind at ease and I'm able to work with meat a little more comfortably. Honestly, that was the highlight of the book for me. BUT keep in mind that he only recommends farm fresh everything, so his chances of food poisoning are reduced and that's partly why he can get away with lower cooking temps, in my opinion. Like I said though, I'm still going to cook my chicken longer. Now, for the meat that you can undercook (such as duck), I do agree with his cooking temps/times. The duck was spot on.

As for the recipes, well, I wouldn't buy the book for the recipes alone. They are a great starting point though, but the reason to buy this book is to expand your meat knowledge.

Sauteed Duck Breasts with Cherry Sauce
Serving Size = 2
Adapted From: Meat: A Kitchen Education by James Peterson, 2010, p. 72
  • 2 boneless Moulard duck breasts, about 1 lb each (or 4 Pekin or Muscovy duck breasts)
  • Salt/Pepper
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons meat glaze (optional, it's basically broth that's been gently simmer until it reduces and becomes thick)
  • 1/2 lb cherries, pitted and halved
  • 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 3 slices
  1. Using a sharp knife with a thin blade, score the skin on the breast about 20 times in one direction, then turn the breast 90 degrees to the first cuts and cut it 20 more times (hold the knife at a slight angle). Only cut the skin, do not cut through to the meat. Salt and pepper the duck breasts.
  2. Heat a saute pan over medium heat and let it warm up completely. Use a pan just big enough for the duck. Saute for 20 minutes, until the skin starts to turn golden brown. It will get pretty dark, but if it does too fast then turn the heat down a bit. If you use Pekin or Muscovy, then cook 12 minutes. Once done, flip and cook another 3 minutes (or 2 minutes for Pekin or Muscovy). When done, set aside and keep warm.
  3. Pour off the fat and return the pan to medium heat. Add the sugar. Once it dissolves and turns golden, add the vinegar and deglaze the pan (scrape up any bits). Make sure at least 2 tablespoons of vinegar remain, if not then add more. Add the broth and stir in the glaze. Add the cherries, bring to a simmer and cook for about 2 minutes.
  4. With a slotted spoon, remove the cherries and set aside. Simmer the sauce over high heat (or medium high, which is what I used) for about 5 minutes, or until a light syrupy consistency develops.
  5. Add the cherries back and stir. Whisk in the butter, but do not boil. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
  6. Slice and serve (cut Moulard crosswise and Pekin/Muscovy on an angle).

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I think my camera is on its last leg. It doesn't seem to be focusing correctly.

Disclosure: I am an Amazon affiliate, meaning I will make money if you purchase a product on my page through Amazon.


Linking to: Gallery of Favorites, Foodie Friday, Foodtrip Friday, Friday Potluck

14 comments:

Alea Milham said...

This recipe really looks elegant! Thanks for sharing your cookbook review. I think my husband needs to read the explanation - he is a real worrywort when it comes to bacteria. :) Thanks for sharing this with the Gallery of Favorites.

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks wonderful deliciously done

mjskit said...

This is a perfect dish for Valentines! I love duck breast with cherry sauce, and I love the simplicity of your sauce. The recipe I have kind of kills the cherries. Yours appears to focus everything on the duck and the cherries. I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing. I also enjoyed your review of the book. Interesting.

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

You are absolutely right, this is perfect for Valentine's Dinner.
Thanks for joining!

anne said...

Is that grapes? or berries? Looks so yummy though

Sahm’s Dining Diary

Jessica said...

yum...that duck breasts w/ cherry looks delish :-) Visiting for Food Trip Friday, hope that you can return the visit too.

http://www.kandhistools.com/my-tenderloin-steak/

France@beyondthepeel said...

Great post. I think Duck with a cherry sauce is the perfect valentine's day dinner. Lovely review with helpful info. I didn't know the bacteria died at 137F good to know. Thanks

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a fabulous recipe. This ismy first visit toyour blog,so I took some timetobrowse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers andI'll definitely be back. I hope you have a greay day. Blessings...Mary

Anonymous said...

Speaking of cameras, I tried to post a comment back when you wanted one :) but Wordpress denied knowing me. Anyway, Brian owns the Canon 60D, had done pretty extensive research between the two, and thinks the T3i should do everything you want it to for less money than the 60D. Feel free to pick our collective brains anytime. We're a dedicated Canon household with several models.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

Sounds like a very interesting book, and you've done such a beautiful job of this recipe. The cherry sauce sounds so delicious, and your photograph is lovely! Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites.

Solusi Untuk Menanggulangi Osteoporosis said...

This article is interesting and useful. Thank you for sharing. And let me share an article about health that God willing will be very useful. Thank you :)

Pengobatan Sakit Pinggang secara Cepat & Efektif
Penyebab Sering Nyeri Ulu Hati
Solusi untuk Menanggulangi Osteoporosis
Obat Penyakit Crohn
Vitamin Penguat Tulang dan sendi
Cara Mengobati Abses Payudara Tanpa Operasi
Cara Menyembuhkan DBDThis article is interesting and useful. Thank you for sharing. And let me share an article about health that God willing will be very useful. Thank you :)

Pengobatan Sakit Pinggang secara Cepat & Efektif
Penyebab Sering Nyeri Ulu Hati
Obat Penyakit Crohn
Vitamin Penguat Tulang dan sendi
Cara Mengobati Abses Payudara Tanpa Operasi
Cara Menyembuhkan DBD

Unknown said...

dr martens outlet
kate spade handbags
rolex watches
coach outlet online
tory burch outlet online
ecco outlet
christian louboutin
timberland boots
tory burch outlet
ugg boots
cc20181108

Unknown said...

x7s36i2k35 e4c11t1i56 y7a88b7n51 x9s96t4k59 s2g47q9b48 u1w33j9l82

Anonymous said...

goyard outlet
golden goose starter
off white
yeezy gap hoodie

Post a Comment