Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Kale and Walnut Pesto with Gnocchi (Shrimp or Chicken or Meatless)


We never watch movies and only occasionally watch TV. There are a handful of TV series that hubs and I watch. Most of the time I leave the TV on PBS and listen to it in the background and 99% of the time it's playing cartoons for my toddler. The only movies I watch are the Harry Potter Series. We usually watch kids movies (Disney, etc) and as much as I would like to say it's for my toddler, it's for me too. hehe I also like the occasional super hero movie.

I do loyally watch the Harry Potter Series. No, I am not a die hard fan (I've only read one book). But they are very kid friendly (obviously), so it's just the kind of movie I like. They are also the only movies I own. I never buy movies unless they are cartoons for Mimi. I can't stand to part with the money. Here's what happens though, I never see Harry Potter in theaters anymore because I have a child, so my husband goes to the store and buys them for me when they come out. If I were there, I would object strongly (and lose), but it's just something he always does for me and surprises me with.

Yes, I promise there's a point!! My point is, the last Harry Potter is now in theaters.
Should I see it at the movies (..... on discount day)?
If so, would it be completely odd if I went alone?
Has anyone out there went to the movies by themselves?
Will it freak people out to see a pregnant lady, alone, inhaling popcorn and probably having hormonal crying fits during the movie????????

(And this recipe is delicious, a nice change from the typical pesto. Yum! Enjoy!)

Place kale in food processor
Toast the walnuts for the pesto
Kale/Walnut Pesto
Brown the gnocchi in butter

Kale and Walnut Pesto
Serving Size = About 2 cups
  • 2 cups of kale
  • 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt/Pepper
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup Parmesan
  • 2 - 3 cloves garlic (Optional, I skipped since I was going to cook the gnocchi in garlic. You could also roast it first.)
  1. Toast the walnuts and set aside. Add the kale to a food processor and finely chop. Add the walnuts, salt/pepper, Parmesan and process. While pulsing, add oil until it reaches desired consistency. I didn't make it too thin since I was going to cook the gnocchi in butter and garlic.
Homemade Gnocchi
Click here for gnocchi recipe.
To make the gnocchi look better, I roll it down a fork on the cut side. Just play with it, but that seems to work best for me. Also, remember to let the gnocchi sit for an hour after boiling before you cook it in a pan.

Kale/Walnut Pesto with Gnocchi and Shrimp or Chicken
Serving Size = 3 - 4 (3 for us)
  • Chicken (chopped) or Shrimp (maybe 2 skinless boneless breasts, or 1 lb of shrimp), or skip the meat
  • Gnocchi
  • About 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic (if skipped in pesto)
  • 1/2 - 1 cup of pesto, to taste
  • Extra Parmesan to sprinkle on
  1. Cook the chicken or shrimp (I used shrimp this time). Remove from pan and set aside. Over medium to medium high heat add about 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of oil and as much butter as you want (2 tablespoons maybe). 
  2. Once that gets nice and hot, add the gnocchi to brown lightly, once color starts to appear add the finely chopped garlic and cook until fragrant and until the gnocchi is browned.
  3. Add the chicken or shrimp back in and stir. Remove from heat and add the pesto, mix well. Plate and add extra Parmesan to taste.

    15 comments:

    kitchen flavours said...

    I have yet to try gnocchi! Seen many recipes in bloggerland and yours look really good with the kale and walnut pesto.
    I'm a fan of Harry Potter, I have the full set of books and have read it twice! Have not seen the movie yet. Want to watch the movie alone? Go for it, I would, if I could! But the timing is off, by the time the cinema opens, my kids would be home from school! It is nice to have sometime to enjoy by ourselves, once in a while! :)

    Alea Milham said...

    Brilliant idea for a pesto! Kale is the wonder plant that just keep producing and producing...It is nice to find another recipe to use it up!

    I went to a movie once by myself, pigged out on popcorn, and bawled my eyes out and nobody seemed to notice or stare. :)

    I love kids literature and movies. I have even stooped to using a cold to get first dibs on the last Rick Riordin book. With 2 teens in the house I had to really exagerate my symptoms to get the sympathy vote. My husband and I also have a "you snooze, you lose" policy, which means we will steal a book right out our sleeping children's hands so that we can read it - we are merciless. :)

    Alea Milham said...

    P.S. Thanks for sharing your recipe with The Hearth and Soul Hop.

    Kate said...

    I saw the last HP, late at night, alone, and sobbed so hard that the couple next to me was actually concerned. hehehe, so I am pretty sure you'd be ok seeing it on your own. This one is SO much better than the last. It is really well done.

    LOVE the kale idea. going to try it for sure.

    Swathi said...

    I need to try this kale walnut pesto, sounds delicious.

    Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

    Elsa, I want to try this recipe! The kale pesto sounds wonderful, thanks.

    Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

    Hello again, thanks for sharing this with everyone at the Hearth n Soul hop!

    Unknown said...

    thiet ke noi that nhà chung cư căn nhà ngày nay đang là phong trào phát triển bậc nhất của các doanh nghiệp sắp đặt đồ dùng trong nhà tại các thành phố lớn. Mật độ dân số tăng cao đồng thời khoảng không đất ngày càng thu hẹp việc vững mạnh các ngôi nhà ngày nay đang góp phần thúc đẩy hàng loạt ngành xếp đặt trang tri noi that trọn gói hoặc thiet ke noi that phong khach , noi that phong ngu , noi that nha bep , noi that phong an, noi that van phong ... Chính vì vậy đời sống dân cư ngày một được nâng cao và nhu cầu sống cũng vậy người dân nhất thiết một cuôc đời thư thái, tiện ích ngay trong trung tâm thành phố tuy nhiên song song khoảng trống xanh là điều cần phải có giả dụ chủ căn nhà muốn có sức khỏe tốt.

    Unknown said...

    يمكنك الان مع مؤسسة السبيعي ان تقوم بتصميم اي شكل في مخيلتك من مجالس تراثية باقل الاسعار واعلى خدمة ..
    www.mazallat.com/majalis-Heritage-decor-popular.html

    maintenanceg said...

    يمكنك الان مع افضل مركز صيانة ال جي لتصليح الاجهزة الكهربائية باقل الاسعار واعلى خدمة من صيانة بقطع غيار اصلية.. http://maintenanceg.com/Lg-Agent-Service-Egypt-Center.html

    Unknown said...

    يمكنك الان مع موقع باتيه وانتريه لما لدينا طريقة عمل الكاتشب باسهل الطرق ..
    http://www.pntre.com/how-made-ketchup-home/

    Unknown said...

    خدمة مميزة من شركتنا البسيطة التي تقدم لكم افضل شركة تنظيف في المدينة المنورة باقل الاسعار وع=اعلى خدمة مميزة ..
    http://alrayansa.com/cleaning-apartment-company-medina/

    Unknown said...

    يمكنك الان مع افضل خدمة مميزة من شركة الاخلاص والامانة افضل نقل اثاث مكة باقل الاسعار واعلى الخدمات المميزة..
    http://www.xn-----jtd6bya2cendpd.com/

    3nod maka said...

    عند اختيار شركة عزل خزانات بمكة ، لا تنسي بان شركة العنود ، تقدم الان خدمة العزل المائي للخزانات ، باسعار رخيصة جدا ، لتناسب الجميع

    http://www.el3nod.com/1/company-tanks-isolation-cleaning-mecca

    للاتصال بنا عبر جوال

    0555132104

    Unknown said...

    مختلف آليات السيو التي تستخدم في اشهار المواقع ، للوصول لقمة عناوين جوجل ، يتم استخدامها بمهارة عالية في شركة سوقني للتسويق الالكتروني

    http://www.swaqny.com/

    للاتصال بنا عبر جوال

    002_01008745590

    Post a Comment