Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Homemade Gnocchi with Lemon Herb Butter and Veggies


My first time making gnocchi! They tasted even better than I hoped, but they didn't look professional. Lets just say they were "rustic." ;) My daughter wanted me to hold her the entire time, so I ended up shaping the dough with one hand. I cannot even begin to tell you how difficult that was. However, I will most definitely, without a question, be making these again in the future --- probably next week, I'm shooting for less rustic. I am happy with my results though, and I do not want to buy them from the store ever again. They are expensive and not nearly as tasty. Making gnocchi is a very easy, but tedious process. I would recommend making a large batch and then freezing sections of it. I haven't frozen any gnocchi yet, but from the research I've done, I believe they should be frozen uncooked. Gnocchi can also be made without egg, which will make them a little bit lighter, but harder to cook since they can easily fall apart. Actually, gnocchi can be made with only potatoes and flour, but the recipe below has a few more yummy ingredients.

Smash the potatoes until zero lumps remain. Spread out and let cool.
Note! This is a slightly sticky dough even though the picture makes it appear dry.
I think this is just the result of poor lighting.
Too much flour will make the gnocchi heavy.
"RUSTIC" gnocchi. hehe
Homemade Gnocchi Recipe
Serving Size = 3 - 4 (usually 3 for us)
Original Recipe from Bon Appetit, September '08
  • 4 small russet potatoes (22-24 ounces), peels, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons whipping cream
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (or more, or less)
*Note: Do not over mix the dough, the more you mix it, the more flour you will need. When the dough comes together and sticks, it is done.
  1. Steam the potatoes until fork tender (about 12 minutes). Place them in a bowl and mash until no more lumps remain (you can use a ricer). Cool the potatoes until lukewarm then add the egg, cream, salt and nutmeg and blend well. Add 1 1/2 cups of flour and mix until a soft and slightly sticky dough forms, adding more flour 1 tablespoon at a time if needed (do not add too much flour or the gnocchi will be heavy). 
  2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Equally divide into 6 pieces. Roll one of the pieces between your hands and the work surface until a 3/4-inch-thick rope about 20 inches long forms. Cut into 3/4-inch-long pieces. 
  3. Roll each piece over a dinner fork to make the grooves. Not sure how to do this? Watch this video.
  4. Arrange gnocchi in a single layer onto a floured baking sheet (Very important! I forgot, so some of my gnocchi was squished). 
  5. Repeat with remaining dough.
  6. Boil water with salt in a large pot. Add 1/3 of the gnocchi and cook for approximately 4 minutes. When it's done, it will float to the top. Use a strainer or slotted spoon and remove the gnocchi to a baking sheet. Continue with the other 2 batches.
(Gnocchi can be refrigerated up to 2 days. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature before preparing.)

Gnocchi with Lemon Herb Butter and Veggies Recipe
Serving Size = 2
  • Zest of 1 lemon and 1/2 lemon juice (or all)
  • 1/2 teaspoon or so of oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon of so of rubbed sage (or a few sage leaves)
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • Salt/Pepper
  • About 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon of thyme
  • Asparagus, chopped
  • Zucchini, chopped
  • 3-4 cloves of minced garlic
  • Gnocchi (enough for 2 people)
  1. Saute the zucchini in some oil until it just starts to turn golden, then add the asparagus and cook until the zucchini is golden brown and the asparagus is slightly tender. Move to a plate and start the gnocchi.
  2. Heat the butter with a touch of oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add the lemon zest, stir, add the gnocchi, herbs, salt and pepper. When the gnocchi just starts to get some color, add the garlic. Cook until the gnocchi turns golden brown, stir in the lemon juice and the veggies. Cook for a few minutes to marry the flavors. Remove from heat and add the Parmesan, stir well.
I am linking to: Hearth and Soul and Tasty Tuesday

9 comments:

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Your gnocchi look superb! Love the lemon herb sauce. I have made gnocchi before and for some reason no matter how they look, they are delicious. Your look just like that, delicious! thanks.

Kelly said...

Your gnocchi looks wonderful, rustic and all! I have never made pasta from scratch but I think I will do so very soon.

Anonymous said...

I've never made gnocchi before either. I'm so glad you posted this as I didn't realize it was so easy (although I don't think I like the tedious part, lol). And yours really do look wonderful!!! You did a great job. I'm impressed it was done with one hand, lol!

Alea Milham said...

I think your gnocchi looks fantastic! I so want to try this!

a moderate life said...

Hi Elsa, I am giggling about your daughter needing holding. I used to call dinner prep time the arsenic hour in our home because it always seemed like the baby wanted me then! I got a front carrier and simply strapped her to me and carried on, but as they get older, they dont want to be in the pack!

I think you did marvelously with your gnocci, especially since you were one handed! I adore the flavor and consistency of home made gnocci and I will bookmark your recipe to try very soon. The light lemony sauce is just perfect. Thanks so much for sharing this on the hearth and soul hop this week! All the best. Alex@amoderatelife

Inspired2cook said...

Although I've never tried making gnocchi, I absolutely love the stuff! Yours looks delicious!!
http://www.inspired2cook.com

Elsa said...

Thanks everyone! They were delicious, even though they were "rustic." :) And they are easy to make, as long as you don't add too much flour.

Alex - I actually have a Maya wrap that I put my daughter in. I LOVE it. But, you're right, when they get older they want out. She wants me to hold her when I'm really busy, and when things slow down she wants to get down a run.... and then back up again and so on. haha!

Christy said...

Gnocchi is new to me - I love the rustic look, so then you know it is made with love! And one handed because you are holding a baby - double love! I think the flavors of your dish sound so fresh and delicious. Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

Nina said...

Low priced Marlboro Free Distribution

Child support collection may be a financial obstacle the fact that haunts many North american households Marlboro Cigarettes Size. With any increasing divorce level, many parents happen to be forced into hideous custody battles together with property disputes. Several of this issues are resolved from a court and result in child support prices and visitation the law.

Unfortunately, many times the health and happiness of the boy or girl is overlooked and also judge's decision forgotten about Cheap Marlboro 100'S Cigarettes Online. Child support comes unpaid and visitation rights may not be enforced Cheap Cigarettes Online USA. While these requires are independent of merely one another they regularly occur simultaneously.

Instead of adding to some sort of already astounding fact of $92. 3 billion yearly in uncollected boy or girl support, enlist aid from experts. These people are known for tracking down irresponsible father and mother and forcing the criminals to pay overdue boy or girl support. Many of them firms work at a contingency basis meaning one doesn't pay them unless the funds is retrieved.

Post a Comment