Saturday, October 16, 2010

Best Ever Banana Bread


Cookbook Sunday is here! Time to find a recipe in a cookbook and give it a try. I've made and eaten several different kinds of banana bread in my life, but this is the best. My mom made this for us throughout the years, and even though I love to try new recipes, I cannot imagine steering away from this one. The first time I made banana bread, my mom told me to follow this recipe, but I ignored her. I assumed all banana breads tasted the same. They are not all the same though. The bread ended up tasting extremely dry, slightly salty, too sweet and overall ucky. The reason I love this recipe is because it's very moist, flavorful and has the perfect amount of sugar. I'm not sure if my mom makes any changes though. I do know she adds chopped walnuts. Anyway, the recipe below is straight from the cookbook.

The cookbook!
Cream the sugar, eggs and butter.
The sour cream (or yogurt) and baking soda will foam up, like so.
Pour the batter into a 9x5-inch pan.
Placing it on top of the cookbook is optional. :)
The beautiful banana bread!
Best Ever Banana Bread
From: The Recipe Hall of Fame Cookbook p. 39
(Original Serving Size is 4 loaves, but I took it down to 1)

  • 1/4 cup of butter
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup sour cream (I was out, so I used pain yogurt)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1-2 bananas, mashed (I used 1)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour

Cream together the butter, sugar and eggs. Mix the sour cream (or yogurt) and baking soda in a bowl and let foam up (should take 1 minute or so). Add the rest of the ingredients (including the sour cream and baking soda) to the creamed mixture and mix well (should be a cake batter consistency). Place into a greased 9x5-inch bread pan and bake for 50 minutes at 350F or until toothpick comes out clean (mine took 60 minutes). You can also make these into muffins, cook 20 - 30 minutes.

Linking to: Cookbook Sunday.

11 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

This looks good! There are dozens of banana recipes that I have seen, and I'm always on a lookout for a good one. I'm not a big fan of banana cakes, but my family loves them! Will be bookmarking this! Thanks for sharing.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

That looks like pretty good banana bread to me - my partner is a big banana cake lover so I'm bookmarking this one to make for him.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Your bread does look beautiful!! I bet it's nice and moist from the sour cream/yogurt. I love banana bread, it's one of my favourite quick breads. I think the cookbook is very cool too. Winning recipes from hometown America. Every recipe is probably amazing! Thanks so much for linking up to Cookbook Sundays. Enjoy your Sunday!

Cindy said...

Oooh, I've never tired banana bread with sour cream in the batter. Will have to try this one, for sure.

Elsa said...

I'm not a big fan of banana cakes either, but I love banana bread! :)

Yep, the sour cream/yogurt is the secret to this bread. It stays very moist. I hate dry banana bread. I do like this cookbook a lot. Some of the recipes have short cuts that I do not think are healthy, so I alter them a bit. But other than that, every recipe I've tried so far has been yummy. Each state has a best of the best cookbook. This cookbook takes those books and selects the best. The best of the best of the best. haha!

Unknown said...

I love banana bread -- and, I am planning to make lots soon for Christmas presents. YUM - I may have to try this recipe!

Heather S-G said...

Oh yes, it definitely sounds delicious!! So moist and addicting. And I love your wavy loaf pan, too :D

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Nice sized loaf, thanks so much. Looks great.

Alea Milham said...

I like the idea of only using one banana, so many banana breads are overpowering. The yogurt is a great addition. keeping these ideas tucked away to make a gluten free banana bread!

Elsa said...

Very true, most are overpowering. The reason I like using 1 or 2 bananas is because I usually only make banana bread when my bananas are getting too old (and by then, I only have 1 or 2). So it works out well. I hate throwing food away, so I always try to find a use for it.

Elsa said...

Thanks girlichef! It's from Temp-tations. I love their baking dishes because nothing sticks (I mean nothing!), they are freezer, dishwasher, microwave, oven and broiler safe.... and very cute, of course. :) They also come with little wire baskets and cutting boards/hot pads.

Post a Comment