Thursday, July 28, 2011

Turnip Slaw


I would like to start this post by saying thank you:

Dear Junk Mail,
Thank you so much for sending me a letter asking me if I would be interested in competing for Miss USA. Every 6-months pregnant, weight gaining, back aching, grouchy, tired woman walking out of the house in the early morning, wearing mismatching PJ's, with messy hair and eye make-up from the day before, loves to receive a letter like that. Maybe they wouldn't notice. The swimsuit round might give me away though.

I would also like to thank Barbie's Princess and the Pauper for teaching my daughter to say "shut up." And more than that, they taught her to say it with an accent so that I actually get to hear "shu up mama" every day now. I would like to take some of the glory for this achievement though. I knew that from all of the phrases in the movie, "shu up" would be the only one she would learn.
2 year-olds...... such fun. :)

So even though I've been insanely busy running for Miss USA, I did find the time to make some turnip slaw to share with you. This recipe comes from my mom and she got it from one of her cookbooks. It's super simple to make, but I'm not sure I would consider it a side dish like most slaws. It's pretty strong to serve as a side, so I tend to serve it next to a salad. I like the idea of making your own salad with the option of pickled beets, turnip slaw, blue cheese, or whatever else you like alongside the salad (buffet style). Without a doubt though, it is one of my favorite things to eat.
Enjoy!



Turnip Slaw
Serving Size = Roughly 3 cups (maybe)
  • 1 lb turnips, peeled and shredded
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons oil (vegetable would work, but I used grapeseed)
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  1. Peel and shred the carrots. I used my food processor. Place into a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. 
  2. This is a sweet vinegar slaw, so you could add half the sugar and increase to taste if you want, but I add the full 1/2 cup. It will have a lot of liquid though, that is normal. Also, it freezes very well.

8 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Good luck on your attempt to become our next Miss USA! I'll be rooting for you...LOL. I've never heard of turnip slaw, but I love cabbage slaw I have a feeling I would enjoy this :)

kitchen flavours said...

You'll be a radiant Miss USA! :)
Never heard of turnip slaw, sounds almost like a pickle! Have a great weekend, Elsa!

Elsa said...

It's so hard to explain the taste. It's a bit sweet with kick from the vinegar, but the raw turnip flavor still comes through and adds a unique flavor to it. Definitely one of my favorite things to eat with a salad, I love it. I wish I could describe it better.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elsa,
Your post about your invitation to Miss USA has me laughing so hard. I love turnips, and I have never had Turnip Slaw. It looks so good and I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
Miz Helen

Alea Milham said...

I have been in the mountains with a very poor internet connection so I have missed a lot. I love this idea. I can see making turnip slaw when I have a large crop and adding some turnip to another slaw when I only one lonely turnip.

Anonymous said...

Could you tell me if you have ever canned this slaw or just freeze? Is it just as crisp if you freeze?

Unknown said...

shijun 7.8
cheap air max shoes
ralph lauren outlet
burberry handbags
longchamp sale
ray ban uk
jordan 13s
michael kors
michael kors handbags
christian louboutin outlet
tory burch shoes
jordan 6s
coach outlet store online
louis vuitton
true religion outlet
coach outlet online
hollister co
timberland boots
burberry handbags
jordan 11 retro
christian louboutin
coach outlet stores online
louis vuitton outlet
gucci handbags
coach outlet online
gucci bags
michael kors uk
longchamp outlet
celine luggage tote
pandora jewelry
ralph lauren outlet online
michael kors
gucci outlet
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet
toms.com
ray ban glasses
air jordans
ray ban sunglass
michael kors outlet
jordan 11

Unknown said...

ugg outlet
ferragamo shoes
nike shoes for men
coach factory outlet
chaussures louboutin
lebron james shoes 2016
ray ban sunglasses
ed hardy
ray ban sunglasses
christian louboutin
20161230caian

Post a Comment