Thursday, October 13, 2011

Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Lime Coleslaw


What's not to love about spicy shrimp tacos?? I saw this recipe on Kitchen Belleicious yesterday and then had my husband stop by the store for shrimp on the way home. I had everything else in the fridge needing to be used so it worked out perfectly. A couple of notes. Don't fear the sugar, it isn't that sweet. DO fear the chipotle sauce if you are not a spicy food fan. I actually added 2 teaspoons to make it hot, but I would say 1 teaspoon would make it medium. So if you are really against heat then you might want to cut that back for mild or maybe just add the pepper and not the chipotle sauce. Also, I didn't have Greek yogurt so I used half mayo and half sour cream in its place. I'm sure you could use all mayo, all sour cream, or even regular plain yogurt and it would work just fine. 

Anyway, YUM! Try it, we LOVED it!

And guess what? This weekend I have actual adult person plans. Yay! I'm attending a wedding. Although, I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to this the way I once did. Of course, I'm still excited to see everyone, don't get me wrong! But the fact is my back hurts which means I walk like John Wayne. Yes, very attractive. At any point my back could go out and then I won't be able to walk at all. I am also huge and the classy, adorable, I've-been-dying-to-wear-this-thing-forever dress that I planned on wearing doesn't fit (as of 2 weeks ago). The replacement is a huge dress that looks like it came from a hippie's closet. I can't even wear heels to dress it up. 

Large-o hippie John Wayne. Woohoo. 

I'll survive though. And to make myself feel better I plan to make an extremely fattening and delicious dessert. And then I'll eat it. Alone. Sharing with no one. Maybe this is why my dress doesn't fit?? hehehe

The sauce
The coleslaw mix
Mix the coleslaw and refrigerate until ready to use
Add the sauce to the shrimp (the sauce does thicken a bit)
Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with (Avocado) Lime Coleslaw
Serving Size = About 2
Original Recipe: Kitchen Belleicious 

For the Shrimp
  • 1 lb of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 8 corn tortillas (I normally make mine but didn't this time - click here for the recipe)
  • 1 teaspoon salt for the shrimp
  • 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper for the the shrimp
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used EVOO)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (click here for the recipe)
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
  • 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (I used 2 to make it hot)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil (EVOO)
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
For the Coleslaw
  • 1 bag of coleslaw mix (I finely chopped 1/2 head of cabbage and shredded 1 carrot)
  • 1/3 cup Greek yogurt (I used 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream mixed to make 1/3 cup)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • Juice of 2 limes (I used 1 lime)
  • 1 medium avocado, mashed (skipped because I didn't have any)
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  1. Season the shrimp with the salt, pepper and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours (I skipped this step because I didn't have time).
  2. Coleslaw: Mix all of the ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use.
  3. Sauce: Mix together the sugar, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, garlic, cilantro, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 2 tablespoons cider vinegar. Set aside.
  4. Heat a grill pan to medium-high and cook the shrimp for about 3 minutes until slightly curled. Add the sauce and toss often to make sure they are coated well. Cook for another minute or two or until pink and cooked through.
  5. For the tortillas, warm them. You can grill them until charred (20 seconds per side) or any other way you choose.

8 comments:

Mrs Happy Homemaker said...

This sounds great...and gorgeous in those temp-tations!

Swathi said...

I am in for that colesalw, tacos too looks delicious.

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Oh thanks my friend! I am so glad you tried the tacos and enjoyed them. They are a new favorite at our house. Your right on the sauce, I should probably note that in my recipe on the blog. Your tacos look insanely good! Great job!

France@beyondthepeel said...

Elsa, Fun recipe. These look delicious and I'm excited about that slaw. It sounds really lovely.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elsa,
OOOOOh, this is a good one, I can't wait to try this recipe!! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Carole said...

Good post. You might be interested in a spicy and crunchy cole slaw I made http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/spicy-crunchy-coleslaw.html

Unknown said...

cheng1016
polo ralph lauren
canada goose outlet
wedding dresses
oakley sunglasses
cheap jordans
ugg outlet
ugg boots
michael kors handbags
belstaff jackets
ray ban sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
juicy couture outlet
ugg uk
cheap nhl jerseys
cheap snapbacks
true religion jeans
true religion jeans
beats headphones
links of london
nike air max shoes
winter coats
nobis outlet
soccer jerseys
michael kors outlet online
ugg australia

Obat Asma Alami Terbukti Ampuh said...

Thanks for the information, this is very useful. Allow me to share a health article here, which gods are beneficial to us. Thank you :)

Inilah Penyebab Mual dan Muntah secara Tiba-tiba
Cara Menyembuhkan Syaraf Kejepit
Obat Keloid Menahun
Obat Radang Gusi (Gingivitis)
Pengobatan Gagal Ginjal Tanpa Cuci Darah
Cara Mengobati Konjungtivitis Secara Alami

Post a Comment