Thursday, December 2, 2010

Coffee Cake

KitchenAid Professional 600, 6 qt, 575 Watt

Let's all take a moment to admire my new toy. :) Yes, a KitchenAid mixer FINALLY! I know what you're thinking, why isn't it red? 
Well, I love red so much that I painted my kitchen red. Since this will be sitting on my counter I thought I should get something that would pop against the wall. I went with nickel pearl. It matches my stainless steel appliances perfectly. I'm super-excited to have one. Aside from constantly seeing mixers on various blogs, I also drooled all over my moms red mixer every time I went to her house. My husband actually bought this for me, because I couldn't stand to part with the money (that's why it took me so long to buy one)! But I think it's a great investment.

Notice the reflection of the pumpkins and snowman.
Bye-bye pumpkins, hello snowman.
Xmas decorating today! 
The other pics are darker, but this is closer to the actual color.

Ok, I've forced you to look at mixer pics long enough, time to move on, but not to the coffee cake. Xmas decorations first. I have about 10 million gingerbread decorations. Here is one, but trust me, there are so many more. I won't torture you though.

I love teapots (thanks to my mom).

Here is the recipe! It came out very well. The only thing I struggled with was dividing the batter. It seemed like there wasn't enough batter to divide in half and spread across the pan. Next time, I will skip this step and just pour in all of the batter and sprinkle with the topping. A smaller pan seems like a good idea, but I wouldn't try it since the cake rises pretty high.

Add the ingredients.
Mix well.
Remove from oven, let cool.
Serve warm.

Sour Cream (Yogurt) Coffee Cake
Original Recipe: KitchenAid Recipe Book (came with the mixer)

Topping
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
Batter
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (I used walnuts)
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, softened (I used butter)
  • 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream (I used plain yogurt)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Combine the brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
  3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, granulated sugar and salt in the mixer bowl. Add the butter, vanilla and sour cream (or yogurt). Turn to speed 2 (use the flat beater) and mix for about 1 minute until everything is combined. Stop and scrape the bowl. Turn the speed to 4 and mix for about 2 minutes. Stop and scrape the bowl, then turn to speed to 2 and add the eggs one at a time. Mix until everything is well combined. By the way, I only scrape the bowl once.
  4. Spread half of the batter in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan or a 10-inch tube (I used the pan). Sprinkle on half of the topping. Pour on the rest of the batter and sprinkle the rest of the topping on.
  5. Bake for 45-50 minutes until middle is done.
Linking to: Real Food Deals.

8 comments:

Miz Helen said...

You will love your Kitchen Aide. I have had one for a long time and I would not know how to cook without it. Your coffee cake looks really good. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week.

Alea Milham said...

Your mixer is beautiful!

I love the use of yogurt in this recipe - great way to save money and calories! My kids love coffee cake - I will be making a #gf version soon!

kitchen flavours said...

Congratulations on your new mixer, it's beautiful!
The coffee cake looks good. Will be bookmarking this! Thanks for sharing. Have fun with your new "kitchen-toy"! ^..^

Kate said...

IT looks so shiny and FUN!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

cheng1026
replica handbags
true religion jeans
iphone cases
swarovski outlet
futbol baratas
moncler outlet
coach handbags
michael kors outlet
ray ban
ugg boots
tiffany and co jewelry
snow boots
the north face outlet store
kobe shoes
toms outlet
lacoste polo shirts
hermes birkin
air jordan shoes
mbt shoes
barbour coats
canada goose jackets
ugg boots
the north face
cheap oakley sunglasses
cheap nba jerseys
parajumpers coats
ugg outlet
oakley sunglasses
the north face uk
herve leger outlet

best cutting boards for chefs reviews said...


IT looks so shiny and FUN!

best coffee grinders said...

That new mixer, it look amazing!
I will try it at home. :-)

Post a Comment