Friday, December 3, 2010

Rye Bread and Kielbasa with Cabbage


We went grocery shopping yesterday and I went crazy buying flour. I was excited to buy rye flour (yes, excited, I know it's sad) because I found a recipe on allrecipes.com that I wanted to try. It turned out perfectly. The color was beautiful, it tasted great (not too strong), and it was a bit dense but still soft. Dinner matched the bread --- kielbasa and cabbage. I was hesitant to try the recipe because I thought it would lack flavor, but it was actually very flavorful. 


Rye Bread Recipe
Serving Size = 1 - 1 1/2 lb loaf
  • 1 1/8 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups rye flour
  • 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon caraway seed
  • 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
  1. Place the ingredients into the bread machine, in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
  2. Select Basic cycle and press start.

Chop up the veggies while the meat is browning.

 Kielbasa and Cabbage Recipe
Original Recipe By: Kitkaty, Allrecipes
Serving Size = 3 - 4
  • 1/4 cup water (I added 1/4 more)
  • 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • 1/2 head or so of cabbage, cut into small pieces
  • 14oz Polish kielbasa (I used Turkey kielbasa)
  • 2 -3 small potatoes, peeled and cut into small slices
  1. In a large skillet, add some oil and saute the kielbasa over medium heat until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
  2. Add the onion and potatoes to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes, add the garlic and cook until just fragrant. Add the water sugar, red pepper flakes, salt and caraway seeds. Stir to break apart any flavor left on the bottom of the pan, add the cabbage and gently stir. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes (I had to add an additional 1/4 cup of water).
  3. When done, add the kielbasa to the pan, cover and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
  4. Serve hot.
*Note: I forgot the potatoes so I cooked them in a separate pan and added them in the last 15 minutes of cooking. Oops. :)

Linking to: Foodie Friday, Food on Fridays, Friday Potluck

5 comments:

Ann Kroeker said...

The bread sounds delicious, and the meal sounds like a perfect blend of flavors (and aromas)!

Anonymous said...

Elsa, that looks fabulous! I remember back in the summer I was so excited when I FINALLY found rye flour (not easy to find here), lol. So I know how you feel. We love these kinds of meals, it looks so hearty and delicious.

Unknown said...

So many wonderful "real" ingredients in this! Sounds like a great meal! Thanks for sharing with Friday Potluck this week!

Lisa said...

What a nice simple meal with delicious flavors and what a beautiful loaf of rye bread. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

Lyndsay Wells said...

I just watched a show yesterday on Food Network that featured a Polish restaurant and thought that I would like to make something that reminded me of some of the things they were making. This recipe looks perfect!

Post a Comment