Monday, November 29, 2010

Pot Roast and Rolls


I always look forward to making meals with lots of veggies. Yes, they are tasty and healthy and all that. But the real reason I love veggies is because I get to chop them up on my butcher block. Is that immature?? It's so relaxing. I could stand in my kitchen all day cutting up veggies. Meat is a different story though. I love to eat meat, but working with it is probably my least favorite thing about cooking. I am a bit of a germ freak. Meat never touches my butcher block. I always use a plastic board, which is far, far away from my wooden board and then I disinfect everything when I'm done. It's so stressful that I reserve veggies to chop, just to calm down. :) No, I'm kidding!! Or am I? hehe

Chop the veggies on your gorgeous butcher block. 
Brown the meat, be patient and you will be rewarded. :)
Add the veggies, herbs and cover.

My favorite thing about this meal is the way it makes the house smell while it's cooking. Wow, my husband and I actually stood in front of the stove staring at it, hoping it would finish faster.

Tyler Florence Pot Roast
Serving Size = 8 (My Serving Size = 3)
  • 1 (3-4 lb) piece of beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat (I used 2 lbs)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil (Too much in my opinion, I just coated the bottom of the pan)
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes (I used whole)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 yellow onions, halved (1 onion, cut into big chunks)
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 bunch baby carrots (a big handful)
  • 2 celery stalks, sliced
  • 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced in half (I used stems and all)
  • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (1/2 teaspoon, dried)
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme (1 teaspoon, dried)
  • 2 bay leaves
*Note: You might want to increase the rosemary and thyme by 1/2 teaspoon.
  1. Season the meat with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven (or any heavy pot with a tight fitting lid) heat 2 tablespoons of oil over moderately high heat. Brown both sides of the meat, take your time and make sure a nice crust forms. 
  2. Pour in the tomatoes and water. Scatter the vegetables and herbs on top and around the pot roast. Add salt and pepper. Drizzle with the remaining oil (I didn't).
  3. Cover pot, reduce heat to low (between low and medium-low). Braise for about 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes with the pan juices. Since I had less meat, mine took about 2 1/2 and I did not need to baste the meat, it was covered in liquid. The beef should be fork tender.
  4. When done, serve on a platter with veggies and juices.

Place the rolls on a baking sheet, point side down.
After rising for 1 hour, bake in the oven until golden.
Serve!

These rolls are very light and soft. If you add the full-amount of sugar, it will create a sweet roll. It shouldn't be too sweet though. I cut the amount in half, and the sugar wasn't noticeable at all, which is what I was looking for, so it worked out.

Dinner Rolls (originally sweet, but I cut back the sugar)
Serving Size = 16 rolls
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup warm milk
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup of sugar (I cut in half)
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used bread flour)
  • 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast, or active dry)
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  1. Place the water, milk, 1/3 cup butter, sugar, salt, flour and yeast into a bread machine (in the order recommended for your machine) and select the dough cycle.
  2. When the machine finishes, remove the dough and cut in half. Roll out of piece into two 12-inch circles. Spread the 1/4 cup or softened butter over both circles. Cut each circle into 8 wedges each (it will look like pizza, I even used a pizza cutter). Starting at the wide end, gently but tightly roll each wedge and place on an ungreased baking sheet, point side down. 
  3. When done, cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm spot to rise for 1 hour. I usually turn the oven on for 1 minute or less, then turn it off and place the bread inside to rise.
  4. Preheat the oven to 375F and bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden. (Original recipe suggests 400F, but I think that's too high for rolls).
  5. Remove and serve.

12 comments:

Lyndsay Wells said...

This all looks so GOOD! I have tried several of Tyler Florence's recipes and they always turn out. Will definitely try this one.

Miz Helen said...

We ended up right next to each other with out beef and vegetables. Your Chuck Pot Roast looks great. Thank you for sharing and have a great week.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

What a great dinner! Love the roll recipe, not too large as many are.

Unknown said...

COMFORT FOOD!! This looks so delicious :)

Blessings!
Gail

Elsa said...

Thanks everyone!

I've been watching a lot of Tyler Florence shows lately, and his food always looks great. His cookbook is on my Christmas list actually, so hopefully I'll be making more of his recipes in the future. :)

The rolls are delicious. I had extra, so my daughter and I ate them for breakfast --- toasted with jam. Yum!

Christy said...

Elsa, I wasn't even hungry until I came here. Now my stomach is growling and I want some of that pot roast - STAT! I can imagine the smell and wow am I hungry! thanks for sharing this with the hearth and soul hop!

Alea Milham said...

I also find chopping veggies calming. I had a pretty cutting board that I used, but I accidentally caught it on fire one night and didn't notice for a while because it smelled so lovely while burning...So now it doesn't get featured very often in my photos. :)

I think the tomatoes make a delicious addition to your pot roast! Now I am hoping I have a roast in the freezer!

maria said...

Meat and veggies I really like the combination and I cook them a lot! I will try this recipe for sure... Thank you for sharing! I am so hungry now...

Unknown said...

don't you just love tyler? he is adorable and his food is always good. this looks amazing! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club

Elsa said...

Alea -- That is hilarious!! It shouldn't be, but it is!! hehehe

Thanks everyone! And yes, I love Tyler. He has a recipe for fish stuffed with couscous that I'm dying to try!!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Looks utterly delicious - yum!
Sue :-)

mmjiaxin said...

http://www.tiffanyandcojewellery.us.com
michael kors handbags
adidas nmd
tiffany and co jewelry
michael kors outlet
kobe shoes
mlb jerseys authentic
cheap nfl jerseys
michael kors handbags clearance
michael jordan shoes
jordan shoes
true religion jeans wholesale
tiffany and co uk
louis vuitton handbags
fitflop sandals
tiffany and co
mlb jerseys authentic
cheap oakley sunglasses
nfl jerseys
Cheap Jordans For Sale
gg

Post a Comment