Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cranberry Sauce and Pear/Apple Crisp


With Thanksgiving knocking on the door, I decided to start one of my side dishes ahead of time. We spend our Thanksgiving at my parents' house. Everyone brings side dishes, leaving my mom and dad in charge of the turkey. I decided to bring cranberry sauce, roasted brussels sprouts, homemade bread and a chocolate cheese ball. I have to make the bread and brussels sprouts tomorrow, but the cranberry sauce and cheese ball I can make a day in advance. I haven't started the cheese ball yet, but the cranberry sauce turned out perfectly! It is the best cranberry sauce I've ever had --- and super easy to make. Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Thanksgiving Side Dish

Add the cranberries to the orange juice and sugar.
Pour the sauce into a bowl and let cool.
Cranberry Sauce
Serving Size = 8 - 12 servings
  • 12 oz of cranberry
  • 1 cup of orange juice
  • 1 cup of sugar
  1. In a medium stockpot, melt the orange juice and sugar together over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar dissolves, add the cranberries and cook for 10-20 minutes depending on how thick you want the sauce. I want mine thick, so I cooked it for 20 minutes. Stir from time to time. 
  2. In the last few minutes, I smashed the cranberries a few times with a potato masher, making sure some of the cranberries remained whole (the smashing is optional).
  3. When done, pour the cranberries in a bowl and let cool (sauce thickens as it cools).
Dessert

I found this recipe at the Common Room Kitchen blog and decided to make it a few days ago. I halved the recipe and since I only had 2 small pears, I added 1 apple to the mix (I didn't peel anything). I love this crisp. I have never made a truly successful crisp. All of them have been good, but not worth keeping. This recipe is definitely a keeper! I served it after lunch and it all disappeared. :)

Mix the first ingredients.
Pour on the topping. 
Remove from oven and let cool a bit.
Serve warm.
Ginger Pear (and apple) Crisp
Original Recipe by: The Common Kitchen
Serving Size = 4 - 6
  • 6 pears, peeled and sliced (I didn't peel them)
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons butter, cut into bits
  • Topping
  • 1/4 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 tablespoons butter
*Note: I halved everything and was short 1 pear, so I added 1 apple.
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Mix together the first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Pour into a buttered baking dish.
  3. With a fork, combine the topping ingredients. Spread over the topping over the pears.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and brown.

5 comments:

Alea Milham said...

Both look delicious! I used the cranberry sauce recipe this evening and it tastes fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

kitchen flavours said...

Looks delicious! Enjoy your Thanksgiving Feast! Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What a simple, but delicious sounding cranberry sauce. I really don't know why I don't fix it more often than just at Thanksgiving since I really do like it as both a side dish and sandwich condiment.

MrsJenB said...

You know, I really wish I wasn't the only one in my family who doesn't need the cranberry sauce to have ridges from the can! haha Because this looks yummy and so simple!

Visiting from Foodie Friday :-)

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Elsa, I have a couple of awards for you over at my blog. Please do drop by to collect them when you can. Have a lovely day!

Post a Comment