Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mozzarella Stuffed Cabbage with Marinara


This candle is part of my daily kitchen ritual. Every time I cook in the kitchen, I light a scented candle and place it in front of my cutting board. I usually put on some music too --- my attempt to escape the toddler tunes that I must endure all day, every day. I know all of the lyrics to Sid the Science Kid, Martha Speaks, and Super Why. Even though I hate them, I actually sing them throughout the day. So, while trying to push Martha Speaks out of my mind, I played Edith Piaf on the computer, lit the candle, and started working on dinner. The chicken I made isn't worth mentioning, so I will just link back to the original recipe. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either (a bit bland). The stuffed cabbage is another story. I love everything about this side dish, and I inhaled it in a very unladylike manner. 

Kitchen Tip: Smash the tomatoes with a potato masher.
Carefully peel the cabbage leaves off.
Add the mozzarella and roll up.
Pour on the marinara sauce.
Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
Serve!

Mozzarella Stuffed Cabbage with Marinara
Serving Size = 3 - 4
  • 1 head of cabbage
  • 2 cans of whole tomatoes, with liquid
  • 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 teaspoons or so of sugar, to taste (optional)
  • Salt/Pepper
  • 1 fresh mozzarella ball, cut into 8 pieces
  • 1/8 cup or so of freshly grated Parmesan
  1. Place some oil in a medium stockpot and add the garlic, cook until fragrant. Add the two cans of whole tomatoes, and squish with a potato masher. Add the oregano, basil, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. If the sauce is sour, add a bit of sugar to sweeten it up. Simmer until the sauce thickens, which could take 40 minutes or so. 
  2. Fill a large stockpot with water and some salt. Heat on high until boiling. While that is heating, peel off 8 cabbage leaves (it's ok if a few tear a bit). When the water boils, add the leaves and cook for about 5 - 8 minutes until tender. Remove and set aside to cool.
  3. Once cooled, place one piece of mozzarella in one leaf and roll up, placing seam side down in a casserole dish. Keep doing this until all of the mozzarella and cabbage is used up. Since cabbage is watery, you might want to drain some of the water out of the casserole dish. 
  4. Pour on the marinara sauce, sprinkle on the Parmesan and place into an oven preheated to 375F for 15-25 minutes, until bubbling and the cheese has melted.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

I've always enjoyed stuffed cabbage but your version with cheese sounds so much better. Cheese makes everything more delicious.

Heather S-G said...

Oh my gosh, YUM!! I've never had cabbage stuffed with mozzarella, but I must try it! And I had to laugh because I, too, can sing all of those theme songs...and many, many more....I have a good twelve years of kid-show theme songs under my belt... ha ha ha ha!!

Heather S-G said...

...ps...thanks for sharing this w/ the hearth and soul hop this week :)

Christy said...

I am totally in love with this dish! I love cabbage rolls and I love mozzarella cheese - delicious!! I have turned the radio on, but never candles - I love your tradition. thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

Alea Milham said...

I love the idea of stuffing cabbage leaves with mozzarella! I am so going to run with this idea, it is absolutely brilliant and naturally gluten free! This will be on my menu next week and I can already imagine all sorts of variations for the future. Thanks for the inspiration, you have made my day!

Unknown said...

these look amazing! and....we have so much leftover mozz from thanksgiving (my mom had some shipped out from her favorite italian market in new york, and i don't want it to go to waste. what a great way to use it...i can hardly wait! thank you for linking this up to tuesday night supper club.

Unknown said...

ralph lauren polo shirts
moncler coats
the north face outlet store
new balance 574
the north face uk
air jordan shoes
hollister clothing
hermes birkin
beats headphones
mizuno running
toms outlet
michael kors outlet
nba jerseys, http://www.nbajerseys.us.com
ray ban sunglasses
fred perry sale
celine outlet
kobe shoes
beats by dre
cheap soccer jerseys
fitflop
san antonio spurs jerseys
nike air max uk
tory burch outlet
soccer jerseys
ugg boots, http://www.uggboot.com.co
links of london
mcm handbags
koby bryant shoes
chanel outlet
valentino outlet
asics running shoes
cheap football shirts
pandora
ugg outlet, http://www.uggsoutlet.us.org
salomon shoes
nfl jerseys
ray ban sunglasses
lebron james shoes
2015813caihuali

Unknown said...

thiet ke noi that nhà chung cư căn nhà ngày nay đang là phong trào phát triển bậc nhất của các doanh nghiệp sắp đặt đồ dùng trong nhà tại các thành phố lớn. Mật độ dân số tăng cao đồng thời khoảng không đất ngày càng thu hẹp việc vững mạnh các ngôi nhà ngày nay đang góp phần thúc đẩy hàng loạt ngành xếp đặt trang tri noi that trọn gói hoặc thiet ke noi that phong khach , noi that phong ngu , noi that nha bep , noi that phong an, noi that van phong ... Chính vì vậy đời sống dân cư ngày một được nâng cao và nhu cầu sống cũng vậy người dân nhất thiết một cuôc đời thư thái, tiện ích ngay trong trung tâm thành phố tuy nhiên song song khoảng trống xanh là điều cần phải có giả dụ chủ căn nhà muốn có sức khỏe tốt.

wesan michael said...

coach outlet online
nike dunks
vera bradley outlet
air jordan retro
michael kors handbags
tiffany and co outlet online
kobe bryant shoes
cheap jordan shoes
cheap nfl jerseys
michael kors outlet online

Post a Comment