Sunday, November 21, 2010

Seasoned Roasted Potato Wedges, Cauliflower Mash and Nutella Hot Chocolate


Can you tell we like steak? I was going to make a vegetarian dish, but my husband saw steak on sale and we just couldn't pass it up. I know, I know, steak AGAIN. Medium-well yummy goodness --- I couldn't say no. By the way, the other day I made kefta with lamb. It was the best kefta I've ever made, hands-down. Lamb is the way to go with kefta. Follow the same recipe that I posted, but replace the beef with lamb. I also added one egg and some breadcrumbs (maybe 1/4 cup for 1 lb). Make sure you open the pan and turn the kefta once halfway through.

Anyway, I'm going completely off topic. Cookbook Sunday is here so lets get started!



The Cookbook
I went with the Farm Journals Best-Ever Vegetable Recipes. I like old cookbooks, even if they are not the prettiest cookbooks to photograph. I tried to compensate for the ugliness by placing a pumpkin next to it. Did it help? Anyway, what I love the most about this cookbook is that it contains a large amount of recipes and each recipe is broken down into different versions (roasted potatoes are broken down into roasted potato wedges and so on). Sometimes they require new ingredients and other times it's just about slicing them differently (see above picture). 

The Food
From the cookbook, I went with the seasoned roasted potato wedges. The color turned out beautifully but the flavor was a little too mild. Maybe more sauce next time? The wedges are followed by cauliflower mash, an Elsa creation. Make sure you don't add too much cream, because the cauliflower doesn't soak it up well.




Seasoned Roasted Potato Wedges
Original Recipe By: Farm Journals Best-Ever Vegetable Recipes, 1984, p. 168.
Serving Size = 4 - 6
  • 6 medium potatoes
  • 6 tablespoons of butter, melted
  • 3 tablespoons of ketchup or chili sauce (I used ketchup)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (my own addition)
  • Salt to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 425F.
  2. Cut the potatoes into 4 wedges each. Lay skin side down on a baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and salt. Bake for 10 minutes.
  3. Combine the rest of the butter with the rest of the ingredients. Once potatoes are done, brush with the mixture and return to the oven for 20 minutes, brushing at least two more times (I had to cook mine about 10 minutes longer). Remove from oven, add more salt and serve.
*Note: The original recipe suggests cutting the potatoes crosswise, almost to the skin, 1/4-inch apart to create a fan look. I skipped this step. Also, I recommend doubling the butter/ketchup sauce.



Cauliflower Parmesan Mash
Serving Size = 3
  • 1 small head of cauliflower, cut up and steamed
  • 1/4 cup or less of heavy cream
  • Parmesan to taste (maybe 1/4 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  1. After steaming the cauliflower, add the cream, Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper and lightly mash to combine. Serve warm.
Dessert
This recipe comes from Claudia's blog, What's Cookin' Italian Style Cuisine. Nutella hot chocolate --- need I say more? It is very rich and super-sweet, which I love. If you don't have a huge sweet tooth (really?!), just add some more milk. I also made whipped cream to top it off, and drizzled on some chocolate syrup.

My changes? I had to make enough for 2 people and I was almost out of nutella. I ended up using 2-3 tablespoons of nutella, and doubled everything else.


Nutella Ferrera Rocher Hot Chocolate
Serving Size = 1
  • 1 cup of whole milk
  • 3 tablespoons of nutella (I had to cut in 1/2)
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder (I used unsweetened)
  • Sprinkle on Ferrera Rocher Candy (optional, I skipped because I didn't have any on hand)
  1. In a medium pan, whisk together the milk, cocoa and nutella. 
  2. Simmer for 5 minutes. 
  3. Top with whipped cream, drizzle with chocolate and serve.
Whipped Cream
Serving Size = 2
  • 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
  1. With a hand mixer, beat everything together until peaks form. Do not over beat. Once you see peaks form, stop.
Linking to: Cookbook Sunday

8 comments:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

looks great thanks for the mention and wow the striped chocolate is so decadent nice job!

Elsa said...

No problem! I love nutella and it never occurred to me to use it in hot chocolate. Brilliant and yummy!

Lyndsay Wells said...

Your meal looks amazing and right up my alley as I too love a good steak. I'm intrigued by the potato recipe as well - it looks very good.

Anonymous said...

Yum to everything. But I'm really craving some hot chocolate.

Kate said...

The pumpkin did make the cookbook pretty! But what can't a pumpkin do? we, besides walk, talk, breathe, and a bunch of other things.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Wow, love the idea of that potato recipe - very different to anything I've tried with 'spuds' before. Pretty keen on the cauliflower and Nutella hot chocolate too (who wouldn't be) :-)
Sue

Alea Milham said...

The cauliflower Parmesan mash and the roasted potatoes look wonderful! I can't wait to give them a try!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a delicious looking meal! I've seen cauliflower mash a few times but still haven't tried it. A nice change from mashed potatoes. Thank you so much for linking this yummy meal up to Cookbook Sundays and my apologies for taking so long to get back to you. I hope you're having a great week!

Post a Comment