Saturday, November 20, 2010

Snickerdoodle Cookie Bars (Cake)


I found this recipe on Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker and had to try it. Plus, I want to use more recipes by my fellow bloggers and post the yummy results. Anyway, the title does say "Snickerdoodle Cookie BARS," but mine was more like a snickerdoodle cake. As it kept rising, I thought it would be a disaster --- burnt all over and raw in the middle. I let it go a little longer than the recommended time (I think 35 minutes) and it turned out perfectly. I love this recipe and I hope it turns into a cake next time I make it as well. Nothing was burnt. Like a cake, it was soft and moist, but the heavier snickerdoodle element was still there. The cinnamon/sugar mixture on the top and bottom tasted phenomenal and made a beautiful presentation. I accidentally added more of the cinnamon/sugar mixture to the top than the bottom. I think I spaced-out for a moment and forgot to divide it evenly, but it still looks good. If you make this recipe, you will not regret it. You cannot mess it up. Cake or bar, it is delicious!

Place the batter into the pan.
Sprinkle on half the topping (the other half is on the bottom).
Beautiful and, in my opinion, perfect with a cup of coffee.

Snickerdoodle Cookie Bars
Recipe by: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker

Bar/Cake
  • 1 cup of butter (I softened mine)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup of sour cream (I didn't have any, so I used plain yogurt)
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Topping
  • 1/3 cup of white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
*Note: I used butter, but Frugal Antics mentioned that shortening, though very unhealthy, gives a better texture.
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. With a mixer, cream the sugar and butter together. Add the eggs, one at a time, remembering to scrape the bowl so everything gets incorporated. Add the sour cream (or yogurt).
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. Slowly mix into the cream/sugar mixture.
  4. In a third bowl, combine the topping (1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon).
  5. Grease a 9x13 pan and coat the bottom, going an inch up the sides, with half of the topping (I used 1/4 of the topping on the bottom and the rest for the top). Add the batter to the pan, smooth out and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon/sugar topping. 
  6. Bake for 30-35 minutes until done. The center will be moist, but not raw. I check the center with a toothpick. If it comes out clean then it's done.

6 comments:

Buttercup said...

This looks delicious and easy to do. Feel like brewing the coffee now.

Kristen said...

I am glad you liked it. I am wondering if it's an altitude thing that made it turn out differently for you. Reducing the number of eggs and/or playing around with the amount of baking powder might change the texture. However, if you really liked it the way it turned out for you, leave it.

In January, I am starting a Monday linky where we get to make a recipe from other people's blogs and post it. I'd love for you to join.

Elsa said...

I love the way it turned out so I'll keep it the same. My husband and I finished all of it. But you're right, it might be an altitude issue, and reducing the baking powder would probably change it. But it is definitely delicious with a cup of coffee in the morning.

And I would love to participate in the Monday linky. What a great idea for a food carnival.

kitchen flavours said...

Love your snickerdoodle cake. Looks really good. I have never tried a snickerdoodle cookie before, I have seen lots of recipes but have not tried them before. I have always prefer cakes to cookies in general. I'm bookmarking this! Thanks for sharing!

Elsa said...

If you love coffee cake, then you will love this recipe. Yum! :)

mmjiaxin said...

http://www.kobesneakers.com
ray ban sunglasses outlet
http://www.huaracheshoes.uk
toms outlet store
http://www.tiffanyandcooutletonline.us.com
cheap rolex watches
basketball shoes,cheap basketball shoes,nike basketball shoes,cheap jordan basketball shoes
http://www.cheaprealjordans.us.com
michael kors handbags,michael kors handbags outlet,michael kors purses outlet,cheap michael kors handbags,cheap michael kors purses
ray ban sunglasses,ray ban outlet,ray ban sale,cheap ray bans,cheap ray ban sunglasses,ray ban sunglasses outlet,ray ban,rayban,ray bans,ray-ban,raybans,ray ban wayfarer,ray-ban sunglasses,raybans.com,rayban sunglasses,cheap ray ban
michael kors outlet clearance
michael kors outlet
cheap air jordan
fitflops outlet
cheap watches,cheap rolex watches,rolex watches for men,buy rolex online
ralph lauren online
cheap uggs
adidas nmd online
tiffany,tiffany and co,tiffany and co jewelry,tiffany necklace,tiffany bracelet,tiffany ring,tiffany earrings
tiffany and co outlet
gg

Post a Comment