Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Moroccan Fava Beans with Tomatoes


I love flowers.
I try to buy fresh flowers whenever they go on sale and decorate the house with them in different size vases. The other day, my husband bought orangina, which is a carbonated mixture of lemon, lime and orange juice. Anyway, the bottle it came in was cute, so I soaked it in water for an hour and peeled the label off --- that's the vase you see below. I placed it next to the sink, in front of the window. Not only does it encourage me to keep the sink empty, but it also looks beautiful in front of the white window trim. Flowers make any house feel cozy and warm.

Leftover drink bottle --- now a vase.

Between decorating with flowers, I actually cooked yesterday. :) I made fava beans and they were delicious - yum yum yum. I love them and I will make them many more times. The only problem I had was when I went to the store, I accidentally grabbed two bunches of parsley, instead of a parsley and a cilantro. Parsley alone tastes great in it, but use cilantro as well, if you have it on hand. I served the fava beans with rotisserie leg of lamb (sprinkled with salt, pepper and cumin), salad and saffron rice (recipe to come).

By the way, I am currently baking snickerdoodle bars. Sounds amazing, right? It puffed up into a snickerdoodle cake. This is either going to be completely amazing or a complete disaster. I will let you know later.

And by later, I mean now. The suspense was killing me. I had to stop blogging and get a piece. It's actually very, very good. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I hope I do it wrong next time as well. I'll post pics next time.

Saute the garlic and tomatoes until tender.
Mix in the beans, spices and herbs.
Garnish with parsley and serve.

Moroccan Fava Beans with Tomatoes
Serving Size = 3
  • 1 cup of dried fava beans or 1 can of fava beans
  • 1/8 cup chopped parsley
  • 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 tomato, cut into wedges or diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  • Additional parsley to garnish
  1. If using dried fava beans, follow the directions on the bag and soak overnight and then boil until tender.
  2. Add oil to a medium pot over medium heat. Saute the garlic and tomatoes, until the tomatoes are tender. Add the fava beans, spices, salt/pepper and herbs. Cook until the beans are warm and the spices blend (about 15 minutes, watch it, you might need to lower the heat). 
  3. Sprinkle with additional parsley and serve.

8 comments:

Alea Milham said...

The repurposed drink bottle makes a lovely vase! The Fava Beans are making me hungry - I could so go for a bowl right now! They look absolutely delicious!

Heather S-G said...

Num, num, num! I love the flavors in here and would love to gobble a big ol' bowl! I agree about the flowers, too...they just make a house feel so warm and welcoming! Looking forward to the snickerdoodle bars..mmmm! Thanks so much for sharing this w/ the hearth and soul hop this week, as well :)

kitchen flavours said...

The flowers are lovely! And the beans looks yummy, I don't cook with beans very often, should include them more in my dishes. Thanks for sharing!

Christy said...

Your flowers are beautiful - I love having fresh ones around! I also want some of that cake mistake!! Thanks for sharing your beans recipe - I love them - with the hearth and soul hop!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Flowers and beans- quite a combination. Would you like to link this to "Cooking Fun - Beans"? I will be changing the ingredient soon and I would be thrilled to get your recipe in before the beans close.

Anonymous said...

The last post should have included this URL.
http://comfycook.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/cooking-fun-beans/
It is a different blog than the above.

Elsa said...

They were delicious! I'll be making them again soon. And thanks for all of the nice comments!

Chayacomfycook - Done and linked! :)

chenlina said...

chenlina20151207
louis vuitton handbags
chanel handbags
swarovski outlet
nike roshe run women
nike huarache
ugg sale
burberry outlet
giuseppe zanotti
canada goose outlet
tod's shoes
ugg sale
abercrombie kids
abercrombie
michael kors outlet online
coach outlet store online
north face jackets
louis vuitton outlet
uggs outlet
michaek kors outlet
lebron shoes
michael kors handbags
coach factory outlet
oakley sunglasses
cheap air max
hollister co
hollister co,hollister jeans,hollister.com,hollister ca
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton handbags
jordan retro
oakley sunglasses
replica rolex watches
kate spade handbags
michael kors handbags
cheap oakley sunglasses
nike air max
oakley sunglasses
uggs outlet
instyler max
ray ban sunglasses
toms wedges
as

Post a Comment