Sunday, November 14, 2010

Carrot-Ginger Cream Soup and Pumpkin Tea


A very bad idea....
Making cookies the other day might not have been the wisest decision. For one, I cannot stop eating them. Therefore, I haven't really had much of an appetite for lunch or dinner. And the second reason is because I dumbly placed the plate of cookies in the middle of the dining room table. When I wasn't looking, my toddler climbed onto the table and started shoveling as many cookies into her mouth as quickly as possible. I would like to add that this happened right before nap time, so nap time didn't occur until many hours later after she finished running and screaming all over the house. Now that she's napping, I decided to relax, blog and have some Twining's Chai Pumpkin Spice Tea. Have you tried it yet? It's the best tea I've ever had..... in my life. And I drink a lot of tea. My mom brought it back from vacation and I've been drinking it ever since. 

The Cookbook....
Even though I didn't have much of an appetite today, I went ahead and made some soup. The cookbook I used today??

M-I-C-K-E-Y
M-O-U-S-E



Yep, I'm using a Disney Mickey Mouse cookbook. :) It's a collection of recipes from Disney's resorts and theme parks. I went with the Carrot-Ginger Cream Soup served at Victoria & Albert's at the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. It was very yummy and mild. If you don't care for strong flavors, this is the way to go. The recipe below is the full amount, but I cut this in half. Next time, I will increase the amount of ginger to a little under 1/4, or, if you are making the full amount a little under 1/2. Even though this seems like a goofy Mickey Mouse book, it actually contains a lot of very impressive recipes.

Here are a few examples of the main dishes: 
Coq au Vin du Beaujolais, Pollo a las Rajas, Honey Sesame Chicken, Chicken with Olives and Preserved Lemons, Bourbon Steak Marinade, Berbere Braised Lamb Shank and Lemon Grass Risotto....

Here are some of the desserts: 
Tiramisu, Creme Brulee, Key Lime Pie, Chocolate Cookie Mousse and Chocolate Souffle....

That's right, this mouse can cook.

Chop up the veggies.
Saute and add chicken stock (or veggie stock).
Puree and serve!

Carrot-Ginger Cream Soup Recipe:
Brandon, P. (2004). Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs, p. 43.
Serving Size = 10 Servings (2 quarts)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • Pinch of dried basil, crumbled
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley (Skipped because I'm out)
  • 1/4 cup of diced celery
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 10 carrots, diced
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup sliced ginger (I grated it and next time I might increase to a little under 1/2 cup)
  • 2 quarts heavy cream
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  1. Heat the butter in a 4-quart pot over medium heat until smoking (I didn't wait until smoking). Add the basil, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, onions, carrots, and celery. Saute for 5-10 minutes, until the veggies are tender (mine took a little longer).
  2. Deglaze the pot with the chicken stock. Add the ginger and bring back to a boil. Add the heavy cream and turn down to low, to create a simmer. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring from time to time. The soup should thicken (do not boil).
  3. Add salt and pepper, taste and then remove the bay leaf and pour the mixture into a blender and puree. Strain through a fine mesh strainer (I skipped) and serve.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elsa, I have a Disney cookbook! I love it! LOL! I don't think mine is exactly the same one as yours but same idea. I've had it for years and I was so thrilled when I first bought it that I could make dishes served in the parks (we're Disney fanatics). I've actually been thinking about it recently, I haven't used it yet for Cookbook Sundays so probably in the new year. This soup must be absolute heaven with 2 quarts of heavy cream in it (my kind of soup). Thank you so much for sharing on Cookbook Sundays and thank you for the heads up on the tea! Sounds amazing!

kitchen flavours said...

How cute! I have not seen a Disney cookbook before! I love drinking tea too as much as coffee. Never seen chai tea being sold here before. I got mine from my sis's friend who bought it from overseas, I'm not sure where!

Elsa said...

We love Disney as well! :) My favorite restaurants are Boma's, Jinko's and Tusker House. I wish they had a cookbook that focused in on those restaurants specifically. We also like the food and wine festival.

And I love chai tea, you might be able to make something similar at home though. I will look into it.

Elsa said...

Brenda, by the way, I am currently buying the cookbook you used in your last post. hehe I saw the words "cilantro" and "chickpeas" and it went right into my cart.

Paula said...

what a great blog!
here is so many inspirations,

have a nice time,
Paula

Couscous & Consciousness said...

I've never come across one of these Disney books before, but carrot & ginger soup sounds like a lovely combination.
Sue :-)

Alea Milham said...

Carrots and ginger make a wonderful combination; I bet the soup is wonderful!

Your daughter reminds me of an incident with my oldest son. He pulled a pan of brownies off of the counter when he was a toddler. I found him sitting on the kitchen floor eating brownies by the fistful. I had to make a new dessert for our company. :)

Elsa said...

Thanks Paula!
Sue - This is my first Disney book. It's a very impressive collection of recipes! :)

Alea - Hilarious! That's exactly what she was doing!! And she now recognizes the cookie container and if she spots it on the counter, she stands and points to it until I give in. haha

Unknown said...

thiet ke noi that nhà chung cư căn nhà ngày nay đang là phong trào phát triển bậc nhất của các doanh nghiệp sắp đặt đồ dùng trong nhà tại các thành phố lớn. Mật độ dân số tăng cao đồng thời khoảng không đất ngày càng thu hẹp việc vững mạnh các ngôi nhà ngày nay đang góp phần thúc đẩy hàng loạt ngành xếp đặt trang tri noi that trọn gói hoặc thiet ke noi that phong khach , noi that phong ngu , noi that nha bep , noi that phong an, noi that van phong ... Chính vì vậy đời sống dân cư ngày một được nâng cao và nhu cầu sống cũng vậy người dân nhất thiết một cuôc đời thư thái, tiện ích ngay trong trung tâm thành phố tuy nhiên song song khoảng trống xanh là điều cần phải có giả dụ chủ căn nhà muốn có sức khỏe tốt.

Post a Comment