Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Panera's Cream Cheese Potato Soup


There's nothing better than hot soup on a cool fall day. Well, hot chocolate is probably better..... but other than that, nothing. ;) I've always been a potato soup fan. I remember my dad made this often when I was a kid. He had a different recipe though and didn't use cream cheese, but it was still delicious. Cream cheese is definitely a new spin on this old favorite. It adds great flavor and richness which bumps up this budget friendly meal and makes it seem a bit more fancy. I was worried it would lack flavor but I was surprised that it didn't.

Hubs loved it too and even went for seconds. He's never had potato soup. I'm pretty sure he was worried when I told him what we were having for dinner (he hadn't eaten all day because of work).

Our phone conversation went something like this:

Hubs: "What's for dinner?"
Me: "Potato soup"
Hubs: "What's potato soup?"
Me: "It's...... like..... runny mashed potatoes."
Hubs: "Oh...... What's in it?"
Me: "..... potatoes...."
Hubs: "........ *laughing*"

I could have been more detailed but after dealing with a toddler and an infant all day, it just wasn't there. haha! We had a great laugh over it though. By the way, making dinner while watching two kids and no hubs to help.... challenging! But I did it and I think it will get easier over time. I also did the dishes and laundry. I know! I even impressed myself! I'm getting the hang of this. :)

And check out my bowls! Love 'em! My husband and I celebrated 7 years of marriage and this was one of my anniversary gifts. He knows the way to my heart is through dishes. hehe The outside of the bowls have the same pattern but reversed; all dark blue with white flowers. I also included a few pics of our anniversary dinner. 



Some of the food from our anniversary dinner!
  1. Pita bread and hummus, click here for recipe
  2. Shrimp Cocktail
  3. Texas Brisket, click here for recipe

Ok, onto the potato soup!

Cube the potatoes (quickly before infant wakes up)
Finely chop the onion and add to stockpot
(too late, he woke up, so finish soup while holding infant)
Serve (be fancy and add a parsley leaf)

Panera's Cream Cheese Potato Soup (I've never had their soup, so I'm not sure how similar this is)
Serving Size = About 4
Original Recipe
  • 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cups chicken stock (enough to cover the potatoes)
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • Some oil (EVOO)
  • 1 8-oz package of cream cheese, cubed
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon or so of cayenne pepper
  • 2 - 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
  1. Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the butter and a touch of oil, saute the onions until they start to turn clear and soft. 
  2. Add the chicken stock and potatoes. Make sure the potatoes are covered with stock. Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook until potatoes are tender ---- about halfway through I added the parsley.
  3. Mash a few of the potatoes to release the starch and cook about 5 more minutes. Turn the heat down to low and add the cream cheese, stirring well. Once the cheese has melted, adjust seasoning and serve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot the shrimp sauce.
Dad

Elsa said...

True! I was going to add it since it's simple but I forgot. I'll probably do a separate post for it.

Alex said...

How perfect is this recipe for a cold winters day?! What I wouldn't give for a warm bowl of that right now!!

And Happy Anniversary, looks like you had a feast.

France@beyondthepeel said...

Elsa, Such a classic dish that never gets a lot of play in the cooking world. I love your cream cheese take on it and I think it really does step it up a notch.

Post a Comment