Saturday, November 5, 2011

Banana Crumb Muffins


Banana Muffins. The perfect breakfast and snack throughout the day when you are dead tired. And I am. So very tired. Surprisingly, not from a lack of sleep due to a tiny newborn entering our lives. I'm just worn out today. Maybe the excitement from the last 2 weeks is catching up with me. Who knows! My Mimi loves these muffins though and calls them "cake." She tries to get into them when I'm not looking. She actually gave me a heart attack because while they were cooling on a wire rack, she picked up the entire rack and carried it into the living room. I have no idea how she kept from dumping them on the floor, but she didn't.

By the way, newborns are not challenging at all. They can't move. They eat, sleep, and you can set them anywhere. 2-year-olds though, that's another story. They climb on everything, move everything, run everywhere, leap off of couches, write on walls, and never sit still. Maybe this is why I'm tired. Chasing a 2-year-old is exhausting folks, exhausting. But I love it, really. I love being a mom.




Banana Crumb Muffins
Serving Size = 10 muffins
Original Recipe
Batter
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 cup white sugar (I reduced to 1/2 cup)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted (unsalted)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (my addition)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (my addition)
Topping
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
  1. Preheat oven to 375F. With a mixer, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the vanilla and egg, mix. Add the bananas. 
  2. Combine the dry ingredients for the batter and then add to the banana mixture until just moistened, do not over mix.
  3. Grease a muffin tin (I didn't use paper liners) and fill 3/4 of the way.
  4. For the topping, mix together the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until it resembles coarse cornmeal.
  5. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of each muffin.
  6. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from tin and place of wire rack to cool.

1 comment:

JCRHarris said...

Yummm... I have to make these this weekend!

Post a Comment