Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Krachel Bread Pudding


We celebrated a holiday over the weekend so I decided to make some krachel. I ended up with leftovers because my appetite isn't as big as it was when I was pregnant. So with 4 krachel remaining I decided that bread pudding was a brilliant idea. Unfortunately, I know very little about bread pudding so this was all new to me. Even though I'm a bread pudding newbie, I have to say this was delicious. The anise seeds really added something special in the background without over powering the dessert. I also like the amount of custard. Some people prefer very dry bread pudding but I prefer more custard. If you want yours to lean to the dry side then go ahead and add another krachel.

Cube the bread 
Cube the apples 
Pour the egg/milk mixture over the top and push down with a fork or spoon 
Remove from oven and let cool
Close up

Click here for the Krachel Recipe
(Note: When I made my krachel, I used 2 teaspoons of anise seeds)

Krachel Bread Pudding
Serving Size = 1 8-inch square pan (I cut it into 9 small pieces)
Original Recipe
  • 4 krachel, cubed, bite size
  • 1 apple, peeled and cubed, bite size (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Place the cubed krachel into an 8-inch square baking dish and top with the apple. Pour the melted butter evenly over the top.
  3. In a mixer, mix the eggs and then add the sugar. Mix in the cinnamon, vanilla and milk until combined.
  4. Pour the milk mixture over the bread mixture and then push down gently with a fork to make sure the bread is covered and soaking up the milk.
  5. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out fairly clean (I added about 15 extra minutes, but watch yours closely). Place on a wire rack and let cool at least 30 minutes and serve.
Note: You can replace the krachel with a different bread. Just fill the 8-inch pan roughly 3/4 of the way full.

    9 comments:

    Candace said...

    I've never heard of krachel; but I love bread pudding. This looks delicious!

    France@beyondthepeel said...

    Great photo Elsa, It's not easy to take a good photo of bread pudding. I don't normally add apple to mine but aI think it's such a nice suggestion. I with you on the custard, the more the better!

    Ellen said...

    My hubby loves bread pudding and yours looks delicious. I'm printing off to try this weekend.

    Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower and look forward to more great recipes! Ellen

    Little Mommy Kim said...

    Gorgeous! Yummy! Love your blog!

    Neetu's kitchen said...

    yummy n easy to make....first time here..do visit my blog ...!!

    Miz Helen said...

    Elsa, this is a delicious pudding! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and please come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

    This looks and sounds delicious! I love the addition of the apples and the anise seed. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul hop. I've linked to it as one of my highlights from last week in my post today.

    Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

    Your bread pudding looks yummy! Thanks for linking up with me last week!

    Anonymous said...

    I ate bread pudding only once in my life. I made it myself and I loved it. It was about 2 years ago. I think I should make it again. You reminded me how much I like it :)

    Post a Comment