Thursday, October 27, 2011

Brie En Croute


Ok, let me start by saying that this is a stunning and very impressive appetizer to serve at any function. However, if you are not a brie fan than you will not be jumping up and down over this. Unfortunately, I've never been a brie fan. I like brie but I don't love it. I LOVE the cinnamon/sugar/walnut combo and when I get a bite of it with the brie, yummy. I think it's yummy because it masks the brie a bit and it becomes almost a cinnamon roll. But those times when I get mostly brie.... eh.

I know, everyone wants to try a recipe that the blog author doesn't care for. haha! What a great review! Oh well. :) It's a great recipe and if you love brie than you will love this. Promise! I still like it even though I'm not a brie fan, so a brie fan will go crazy over it. :) My only tip is to make sure you really spread the topping over the brie so that you won't get any sugarless bites. Also, Paula Deen recommends cutting the top of the brie off a bit to let the flavors blend better. I didn't do this but I would try this in the future.

And baby Emmett is doing great! Here are some random thoughts:
  1. He's a calm little guy.
  2. Having 2 kids is more work but having the second baby is easier. I know what to expect.
  3. His weight is average but NOTHING fits him. Even newborn clothing is huge. I don't get it!
  4. Mimi loves him and will stare at him and smile. She also somehow knows to be gentle with him.
  5. I was worried I would have guilt over a second baby. How could I devote my every minute to Mimi if I had another baby?? I haven't had this problem though. I feel like giving Mimi a brother is a blessing and I think it's definitely a positive thing in her life.
Being a mommy rocks! I love it!


Place the mixture onto the puff pastry
Brush with an egg
Let cool and serve with crackers

Brie En Croute
Serving Size = 1 8-oz wheel
  • 1 sheet frozen puffed pastry, thawed (will try making this from scratch some day)
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I added more, maybe 1/2 teaspoon total)
  • 1 8-oz wheel Brie
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg beaten
  • Crackers for serving
  1. In a sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat and then add the walnuts. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the cinnamon and stir well.
  2. Roll out the puff pastry a bit (maybe an inch or two). Place the brie into the middle and then top with the walnut mixture and then the brown sugar (if you want, cut the top of the brie off first and then add the walnut mixture). Lift the corners of the puff pastry and bring together (if the dough doesn't stretch over the brie, then roll the sides out a bit more) and then tie with kitchen twine (I didn't have twine, so instead I brought the dough up and cut off a bit of the excess dough and then smashed everything down so that the dough wouldn't come apart in the oven).
  3. Place onto a cookie sheet. Brush the puff pastry with the egg and bake for 20 mins, until golden brown (I cooked mine about 10 mins longer). Let it cool for about 15 mins before serving or all of the cheese will flow out.

7 comments:

JCRHarris said...

You are INCREDIBLE!!
You just had baby#2 and are already cooking/baking and blogging.
For real, you deserve an award :)

janice15 said...

Great post...as for mimi I knew she would be so loving and enchanted with her new baby brother for you a loving mom and that reflects through our children. making her a everyday part of your and baby emmetts life will make her content. With all five of my children not one of them were ever jealous of each new one sharing everything with them makes it all good. Later as my children grew we spent time in the kitchen alway after school was homework at the kitchen table while mom cooked and as each one finished they were aloud to cook with me..And now that they are grown everyone of them cook and are great cooks..Enjoy your family with much love Janice...Brie En Croute looks great.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that really looks delish. I love brie so I suspect I'll love this recipe.

Mimi sounds like she is absolutely fascinated, as are you, with her baby brother. What a wonderful time for you both.

all the best
Deb

France@beyondthepeel said...

I made this without all the fancy stuff. Just the brie and the puff pastry and it's to diie for. I'm sure it's out of this world with all that sweet and savory nutty goodness.

Anonymous said...

Well, I love cheese of any type including brie, so I'd love this. Thanks for the recipe and congrats on your happy family!

Miz Helen said...

Oh Elsa, I am so happy for you, your little guy sounds wonderful and I know he is! Enjoy every second of their life with you, the time will fly by. Make as many memories as you can, they are so precious. I can't wait to try your Brie En Croute, it looks elegant and delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I'm so happy to hear that everything is going so well! Thank you for sharing another delicious recipe with Let's Do Brunch and the Gallery of Favorites. I really like the sound of this - I'm not a fan of Brie either, but I can just imagine how lovely it tastes with all those other wonderful ingredients! This would be great for holiday entertaining too.

Post a Comment