Friday, September 16, 2011

Chocolate Almond Custard Pie


Chocolate.... Custard.... Pie.
Need I say more? Of course! I talk too much to stop there. hehe

I ran into a problem recently. I went to the store more often than usual and ended up buying eggs each time I went, forgetting that I had plenty. Oops! I now have 4 dozen eggs that need a purpose in life. So while googling "recipes that require eggs" I came across this custard pie. Even if I screwed it up I knew it would still taste good. How could I go wrong? Plus, I seriously need to work on my pie crusts. They taste great, but the look is a little.... eh.

Anyway, the pie is delicious. It's chocolate, sugar, pastry, and whipped cream. Like I said, can't go wrong. Plus, if your tiny toddler is standing next to you while you're making the whipped cream and you give her the whisk to lick, she'll be forever grateful. :) Keep in mind that the cute tiny toddler wasn't cute earlier and was caught scooping the filling out of the pie and eating it while it was trying to cool....

The one thing I did notice, and I'm not familiar with chocolate custard pie, is that it separated a tiny bit. It formed almost a thin brownie layer on top and a chocolate custard layer below. I loved it that way but I'm not sure if that's normal. I didn't mix it very well before I poured it into the crust so maybe that's why it separated a tiny bit. Or maybe that's how it should be. I personally like the separation.

Dry ingredients
Mix it better than I did
The separation I mentioned
Chocolate Almond Custard Pie
Serving Size = 6 - 8 (one 9-inch pie)
Original Recipe
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup baking cocoa, unsweetened
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups half and half cream
  • 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 baked pie crust, 9 inches (click here for recipe, I would add 2 tablespoons of sugar to the crust recipe)
  • Whipped cream (click here for the recipe)
  • Almond slices for garnish, optional (I forgot them)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the sugar, cocoa, and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, and extract until combined.
  3. Mix the two together until combined and pour into the cooled pie crust.
  4. Bake for 35 minutes or longer (mine took longer). When you insert a knife, it should come out clean. Let cool to room temperature and then cool in the fridge. Serve with whipped cream and almonds (slivered is fine).

11 comments:

Martha said...

looks delicious!!

Kate said...

That looks good even though I'd never eat it (me no likey the chocolate). I love what kiddos do when ya aren't looking. I found O the other day eating breadcrumbs. Can you say weird???

Elsa said...

haha! Mimi will eat raw pizza dough. I'll pat it out and set it aside and when I turn around she's sneaking bites of it. Ewwww!

Kate said...

Haha, too cute...yeah...as far as the garlic press goes I bought a vintage one from the 50's used it about twice and spent 9 light years cleaning it. I'll try a mini grater.

Kate said...

Er and the reason I wanted one is because when I chop garlic it seems to fly all over the place.

Elsa said...

My garlic doesn't usually fly everywhere (now, if I try to cut walnuts.... impossible). You could try smashing the garlic first and then smushing it against the board. You could also get a sharper knife (my main problem when I cook).

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Chocolate pie is a favorite of ours and your version looks delicious, Elsa. The brownie layer on top would be just fine with me!

createwithmom said...

delicious looking pie
regards Akheela
torviewtoronto and createwithmom

Zoe said...

This pie looks very inviting. It has a great combination of all yummy ingredients for a great pie.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

Your pie looks delicious. I love the chocolate and almond combination - there's just something about almonds that brings out the best in chocolate! Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites.

Alea Milham said...

I love the way you think! When I have extra eggs I make lots of scrambled eggs and frittatas, but from now on I have too many eggs I am going to think Chocolate Custard Pie. :) I love the combination of flavors, I will have to buy extra eggs just to have an excuse to make this delicious pie. Thanks for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

BTW, your crust looks beautiful.

Post a Comment