Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Crumbled Spicy Italian Turkey Sausage (for pizza)


You could use this for something other than pizza, but this is what I used it for. I froze some of it for a future pizza as well. Usually our pizza night is vegetarian night, but I wanted to change things up a bit. Exciting, I know. We're wild and crazy like that here. :) Anyway, this turned out very well. Even my toddler was munching on it and to be honest it was probably a bit too spicy for her. Big success with lots of flavor. And yes, I used ground turkey. Maybe it's just the shows I watch, but every time I see a cooking show challenge and the contestants are given ground turkey to work with, they always throw a fit because they hate it. Really???? It's just ground turkey. You can add any flavor you want to it. If I'm ever in a cooking challenge and given ground turkey, I will be one happy lady. :)

By the way, I only have about 6 more weeks until our son arrives. YIKES!!!!! I have so much to do!! I hope I get some energy to get things done because for the last few days I've been exhausted. Well, clearly I'm not too exhausted to cook or blog. I have my priorities. hehe

Spice mixture
Let the sausage cool a bit
Pizza dough, before pre-baking
Add your toppings
Pizza!
Crumbled Spicy Italian Turkey Sausage (for pizza)
Serving Size = About 2 18-inch pizzas (I froze half for another day)
  • 2 pounds of ground turkey
  • Oil
  • 2 - 2 1/2 teaspoons of salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 4 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar (a ton of recipes I looked at added sugar, so I went ahead and did it, but I don't think it adds much)
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds (crush a bit)
  • 1/2 - 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (or to taste)
  1. Add some oil to a saute pan and heat over medium.
  2. Mix the turkey with all of the spices. Add to the hot pan and cook until done (15 mins or so), breaking apart as it cooks. Taste and make sure the seasoning is good. Adjust as necessary. 
  3. Set aside so that it can cool. When the pizza is ready, crumble it over the top, bake and serve. I put half into the freezer for another day.
By the way, this recipe is easy to eye ball. I have one set of measuring spoons and they have vanished (why do I get the feeling a tiny 2-year-old might be to blame?) so I had to wing it. I did have to adjust the seasoning to taste at the end but it didn't cause any problems at all.

Linking to: Tuesday Night Supper Club, Full Plate Thursday, These Chicks Cook, Recipe Sharing Monday, Cast Party Wednesday

14 comments:

Martha said...

mmm yum! Looks delicious!!

Zoe said...

Using well seasoned turkey mince as pizza toppings is such a great and healthy idea.

Swathi said...

Looks awesome, Love the spice mix.

kitchen flavours said...

Wow! Looks delicious! Have not tried cooking with ground turkey as they are difficult to find over here! :0)

Kitchen Belleicious said...

My favorite types of pizza included sausage! This one looks incredible with the sauce and spicy turkey sausage! Great job.

Unknown said...

OMG, your baby is due in another 1+month and you're making pizza! Although I must say it looks amazing and I adore turkey meat (it's healthy!).

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am passing along The Versatile Blogger Award--Congratulations!!!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, YUM!!!! Your delicious sausage must be fabulous on pizza! And so much less guilt than eating a pork version :) (I go weak in the knees when it comes to pizza).

Miriam said...

Mmm, I love pizza. :) Well done! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elsa,
This looks like a great topping for this wonderful pizza. Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

delicious! my hubs and i just purchased our first share of a pig from a local farmer and we are excited to make our own sausage....i will definitely be using this recipe..it looks amazing. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

Anonymous said...

This is such a great recipe!! Yum yum yum!!!

Unknown said...

cheng1026
michael kors wallet
cheap ugg boots
true religion jeans
juicy couture outlet
hermes belt
hermes birkin
woolrich outlet
michael kors handbags
ugg boots
ugg australia
michael kors factory outlet
mulberry outlet
ralph lauren uk
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet online
winter coats
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet
prada shoes
nobis outlet
coach outlet store
cheap mlb jerseys
cheap jordans
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
ugg outlet
parajumpers coats
swarovski jewelry
christian louboutin online
canada goose jackets
chanel handbags
true religion outlet
lululemon outlet
the north face
ray ban sunglasses
cheap nhl jerseys
lebron james shoes
michael kors factory outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
iphone cases

mmjiaxin said...

kobe shoes for sale online
http://www.cheapauthenticjordans.us.com
air huaraches
http://www.oakleyoutlet-store.com
air jordan retro
mlb jerseys authentic
nfl jerseys
chrome hearts online store
cheap basketball shoes
nike dunks
toms outlet
chrome hearts online
huaraches sale
michael kors outlets
tiffany & co
kobe shoes,kobe zoom,kobe byrant shoes
michael kors outlet
adidas nmd uk
authentic jordans
kobe shoes
http://www.kobeshoes.uk
ugg boots uk
http://www.raybanglasses.in.net
gg

Post a Comment