Thursday, April 7, 2011

Baklava


One of my husband's most favorite desserts on Earth, baklava. Every time I see this on TV, I always hear about the phyllo dough being difficult to work with. In some cases, yes, but for baklava, no. It's a million layers of phyllo, so it really doesn't matter if several of them break apart. The most difficult part of this dessert is the syrup. You can either have too little, too much, or cook it too long (which is hard to judge) and then an hour after pouring it over the dessert, you end up with a rock. For this recipe, I wouldn't recommend cooking the syrup for 20 minutes, I think that's too long. I would say simmer for 10 minutes, maybe 15. And another quick note, I didn't measure out every single ingredient. I probably used more nuts than required, but I usually do. When it comes to the layers, it's really difficult to mess up.

Chop up the nuts and mix in the cinnamon
Sprinkle on the nut mixture
Butter the top
I halved the recipe
Baklava
Serving Size = 3 dozen
  • 1 (16 oz) package phyllo dough
  • 1 lb chopped nuts (I used half blanched almonds, half walnuts)
  • 1 cup butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup honey
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. With a food processor, chop the nuts and toss with the cinnamon. Set aside. Unroll the phyllo dough and cut it to fit the pan. Cover the phyllo with a damp cloth to keep it from drying out.
  3. Place two sheets of dough in the pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat until 8 sheets have been layered. Sprinkle 3 teaspoons of the nut mixture across. Top with 2 sheets of dough, butter, nuts, and keep doing this until you only have 6 - 8 pieces of phyllo remaining. Layer on the last 6 - 8 sheets, buttering between every 2. Butter the top layer as well.
  4. Using a sharp knife, cut diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. Bake for 50 minutes until golden and crisp.
  5. Make the sauce towards the end of the baking process. Boil the water and sugar until dissolved. Add the honey and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, very gently, stirring and checking it regularly. Add the vanilla and stir. When the baklava is done, pour the hot syrup over the top. Let cool and serve.



I also want to express how much I LOVE dandelions. I know, everyone out there poisons and curses them, but I think they are beautiful. I love seeing them in my yard, and I'm dorky enough to take the time to photograph the weed. :)

Linking to: Full Plate Thursday

10 comments:

Swathi said...

Baklava looks dleicious our family favorite

Anonymous said...

Elsa, I'm so impressed! We just love baklava in this house but I've never even attempted to make it. You make it sound so easy. It looks wonderful, you did an amazing job!

kitchen flavours said...

I have seen dozens of recipes for baklava, and always seem daunted by the phyllo dough! Yours looks really good and perfectly baked! Well done!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Yum! I must make this, you make it seem so easy. thanks.

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

I made baklava once years ago, it is so delicious and you are right it is not that hard to work with the phyllo sheets. Even though it was the first time I made baklava, it turned out just as it should. Not sure why I haven't made it since, there are just so many new recipes to try and I want to try them all I guess. But now I am hungry for baklava, mmm, those nuts and honey.

-Brenda

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elsa,
I remember the first time I ever had Baklava was in Germany when I was visiting my daughter. I loved it and your recipe looks delicious. I am going to try your recipe, I will let you know how it turns out. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely baklavas
lots of dandelion are pretty to look at

Alea Milham said...

Your Backlava is beautiful!

If you don't poison your dandelions, the greens make a lovely salad this time of year. :)

Food Glorious Food! said...

Wonderful recipe! I m a food traveler and loves to experiment in cooking so this recipe just right for my next project :) Thank you!

JCRHarris said...

I love dandelions!
There was a mess of them growing by a coffee shop and I let Rupert run around and pick them since it does seem that everyone hates them.
Glad to see I'm not alone.

Post a Comment