Friday, April 15, 2011

Spicy Spinach and Artichoke Dip


Goodness, I have been a busy person lately. Nothing too exciting to report though. The weather has been stunning/beautiful/amazing/perfect so my toddler and I kept the front door open and sat on the porch listening to the golden oldies and eating snacks (daily). My daughter now has a new favorite toy, which is Winnie the Pooh with an oversized head. She packs him everywhere, including outside, so he joined us on the porch every day. Of course, now he's filthy and I have to figure out how to wash him. I'm not sure he'll fit in the washing machine, hmmm.....

Dirty, icky, Winnie the Pooh

Anyway, because of the beautiful weather, and because I didn't want the house to get hot, which would lead to air conditioning, I did lots of BBQing. But I did cook one thing in the house. Yummy, ooey-gooey, spicy and delicious warm spinach and artichoke dip. My favorite thing about this recipe is that it's super easy to make and takes only a few minutes. It's perfect for any gathering you might go to, or just general snacking around the house. Feel free to use fresh artichokes instead of canned. I just didn't want to spend the money on fresh for a dip.

Spicy Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Serving Size = Roughly 4 - 6
  • 1 package frozen spinach, or 1 can of spinach (About 14 oz. I used frozen, I've never used canned spinach, but you would probably want to drain it as well)
  • 1 14-oz can plain artichoke hearts, drained
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (I will add a bit more next time)
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I added more, but my pepper flakes lack heat)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Dash of pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Drain the artichokes and chop them up, place into a medium saucepan. Add the spinach and boil the mixture for about 5 minutes (my frozen spinach added enough liquid, but feel free to add a bit of water if necessary). Drain the mixture well and add the spices, Parmesan and cream cheese. Mix well, taste and adjust seasonings.
  3. Turn out into a nice (something to serve in), oven safe bowl (I sprinkled on additional pepper flakes) and bake for 10 - 15 minutes, until bubbly (this also thickens it a bit more).
  4. Serve warm, with plain or toasted bread.
Linking to: Foodie Friday

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love spinach and artichoke dip! I just had it a few weeks ago in fact at a local restaurant. This is the perfect recipe to try at home. Thank you and enjoy the weather!

Southerncook said...

Sounds like a slightly kicked up version of Spanich and Artichoke Dip. I will try this very soon.

Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious dip combination looks good

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I've got the spinach in my freezer, but what size can of artichokes? (I'd have to open up a huge jar).


Thanks!

Elsa said...

Great question! About 14 oz should work, same with the spinach. I just eyed the spinach though, since it was frozen.

SONDRA PRICE said...

YUM! Going to try this out.

LOVE the Winnie the Pooh....looks like Bre's Mickey Mouse. I have to wash it, at least, once a week. :)

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Yum, can't wait to make this, I love hot dips. Glad you are having the good weather, someone should! Rain and more rain here.

Kate said...

O just screamed "oh no! a BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!" and ran away.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kate said...

and spinach artichoke dip is a D favorite. That would be a great wedding dip next to my mom's famous hummus (pita chips for both???).

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Sharing this great recipe on my Wednesday and wandering list, thanks so much.

Post a Comment