Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tres Leches Cake


We watched Megamind for the first time yesterday. I know, we're very behind when it comes to movies, but we have a toddler, so it's expected. Remember the Oscars? We haven't seen ONE of the movies, not one. Anyway, Megamind is hilarious, so if you haven't seen it, go rent it now!! 

I also wanted to show you some bowls below. Partly, because I told my friends Kate and Casondra that I would post a picture of them, and partly because they are very practical for people with a small kitchen and/or on a budget. First, they're nesting bowls, which take up very little space. So if you have limited space, search for nesting bowls. Second, this brand is Temp-tations. Not only do I have their bowls, but I have their baking dishes as well. They are the ONLY items left in my kitchen without a chip. I have dropped them, bashed them, banged them around the dishwasher and they are still holding strong. They ARE breakable, but super-tough. All of their bowls and bakeware are freezer, microwave, dishwasher safe and oven safe up to 500F. They are very budget friendly. I buy them at QVC, so check them out whenever you have time, they are worth the investment. Did I mention that they are hand-painted? Awesome. :)


As for the cake, it is AMAZING. My husband ate two slices after being stuffed from dinner. A must, must, must try. I found the recipe at Sage Trifle, check it out.

Separate the egg yolks and whites
Beat the whites until soft peaks form
Measure out the flour and baking powder
Beat the egg yolks and flour mixture
Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture
Poke holes in the cake and pour milk mixture over
Stunning!!
Tres Leches Cake
Serving Size = 1 9-inch round cake
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9-inch spring form pan. My cake stuck to the bottom, so next time I might line the bottom with parchment. I just ran a knife under the bottom and it unstuck easily though.
  2. For this part, I used my stand mixer, but feel free to use a hand mixer on one or all. Beat the eggs whites until soft peaks form and gradually add 1/4 cup of sugar. Pour into a bowl carefully and set aside.
  3. Beat the egg yolks and 3/4 cup of sugar until pale yellow and doubled in size. Mix in the milk, flour, baking powder and vanilla (and I add 1/4 teaspoon or so of salt) until combined. With a spatula, gently fold in the egg whites.
  4. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
  5. Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the sides. Let cool completely and then poke holes in the top with a fork or toothpick (lots of holes). Slowly pour over the milk mixture, which is the condensed milk, evaporated milk and heavy cream mixed together. 
  6. Let it soak in and then serve with whipped cream. To store, place in the fridge, it's just as good cold the next day.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elsa, isn't this cake amazing! I made it last summer and it was absolutely to die for. I couldn't believe how good it was, I swear I could have eaten the whole thing, lol!

Rocquie said...

Your cake looks delicious! And I love your blog--I'll be spending more time here.

Swathi said...

Tres leches cake looks delicious, Love it.

Team Chastain said...

Man oh man I wish I was at your house right now! Looks AMAZINGLY YUMMY!!!

Beth said...

This looks great! I printed off your recipe so I can give it a try.
Blessings, Beth

ARK said...

oh heavens....YUM

Lisa said...

I have not seen Megamind yet and was wondering if it was any good. Thanks for letting me know. Second, those bowls are way cute. And third, what a moist, delicious, looking cake. I hope you'll be able to come by and join in again for Sweets for a Saturday this weekend.

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

We never manage to see movies until long after everyone else, too many other things we want to do. I love your bowls. I have a weakness for bowls and have more than I need.

Your cake looks luscious! -Brenda

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elsa,
I just love those Polka Dot bowls, they are great. Your Tres Leches looks so moist and that piece is just waiting for me. Thank you so much for sharing at Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

Claudia said...

We don't go to the movies either, but do rent some. Your cake sounds awesome, and I do want to try it.

kitchen flavours said...

Love your pretty bowls. They sure brightens up any kitchen! Your cake looks divine. Heavenly rich!

JCRHarris said...

Those bowls are so cute! I had to check out that brand and spent 30 minutes in the kitchen section at qvc. Love it!

Alea Milham said...

Our oldest is 20 and we are still catching up on films we've missed over the years. Though I did take my oldest to see The King's Speech one night - it was the first time I have seen an Oscar nominee before the Oscars in, well, at least 20 years. :)

The Tres Leches cakes sounds fantastic and looks beautiful!

a moderate life said...

Elsa, lol it doesn't get any easier with the movies as you get older and your kids grow. Case in point, my daughter works at a movie theater and I get to go FREE and I still dont go! LOL this cake looks divine! I really love all the different things going on with a cake like this and thanks so much for sharing it on the hearth and soul hop! All the best, Alex

Unknown said...

I wish I could grab a piece from the picture :)

Unknown said...

ralph lauren polo shirts
moncler coats
the north face outlet store
new balance 574
the north face uk
air jordan shoes
hollister clothing
hermes birkin
beats headphones
mizuno running
toms outlet
michael kors outlet
nba jerseys, http://www.nbajerseys.us.com
ray ban sunglasses
fred perry sale
celine outlet
kobe shoes
beats by dre
cheap soccer jerseys
fitflop
san antonio spurs jerseys
nike air max uk
tory burch outlet
soccer jerseys
ugg boots, http://www.uggboot.com.co
links of london
mcm handbags
koby bryant shoes
chanel outlet
valentino outlet
asics running shoes
cheap football shirts
pandora
ugg outlet, http://www.uggsoutlet.us.org
salomon shoes
nfl jerseys
ray ban sunglasses
lebron james shoes
2015813caihuali

Cara Mengobati Prurigo (Darah Manis) said...

Obat Migrain Tradisional
Penyebab Telat Haid dan Solusinya
Cara Menghilangkan Benjolan di Kelopak Mata
Cara Mengobati Kencing Tersendat
Obat Tradisional Telinga Berdengung
Walatra Gamat Emas Kapsul
Obat Untuk Miss V Gatal dan Perih/Nyeri

razai ke cover said...

I did want to add mustard powder, but when I checked the pantry, I was out. Boo! My other suggestion is to make sure you sprinkle on an even coating, but do not pile it on. I tend to go overboard and it makes the ribs a bit strong. And do not fear the amount of salt! All spice rubs have insane amounts of salt.
double bed cover ,
bed sheet thread count ,

Anonymous said...

off white clothing
kd 12
off white t shirt
supreme
kyrie 7

Post a Comment