Saturday, March 5, 2011

Creamy Rice Pudding


I had an intense craving for rice pudding the other day. So, typical Elsa, I searched a few of my favorite recipe sites and chose the one with the highest reviews. Most people prefer very creamy rice pudding, so they use medium grain rice. I prefer more rice texture, so I use the long grain. I also noticed that several of the recipes take hours and hours, but I can't bring myself to devote that much time to rice pudding. This recipe is quick and easy and a million times better than icky store bought rice pudding. Even my toddler ate it and she barely eats anything.

Long grain white rice
Turn off the heat and add the butter and vanilla
Creamy Rice Pudding
Serving Size = 4
Original Recipe
  • 3/4 cup uncooked white rice (I used long grain)
  • 2 cups milk, divided
  • 1/3 cup sugar (or to taste, I added a tiny bit more)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2/3 cup golden raisins
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon or so of cinnamon (optional)
  1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil and stir in the rice. Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 20 minutes. 
  2. To the rice saucepan, add 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook the rice mixture over medium heat until thick and creamy, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup milk, egg and raisins (I also added 1 teaspoon or so of cinnamon). I tempered the egg first by adding a little bit of the hot rice mixture to the cold egg, stirring, adding more, stirring and then adding everything back to the rice mixture. Cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
P.S. - Still not feeling well. I know??! Does anyone have a miracle cure out there?? :)

Linking to: Sweets for a Saturday

11 comments:

Ann said...

Yum.. I think that I'll have to make this. No wonder your toddler likes this. It looks terrific.

Julie said...

Looks amazing and comforting. Sounds like something I would really enjoy right now :)

Anonymous said...

I never realized how much I loved rice pudding until I tried my mother-in-law's. She makes wonderful rice pudding which looks a lot like yours. You're right about the store bought. Rice pudding needs to be homemade!

Catalina said...

Yum :) This reminds me arroz con leche which is my all time favourite rice meal :) It looks soo tasty and creamy (guess I'll have to go to buy some rice)!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

This looks wonderful, so easy too! I love rice pudding, thanks Elsa. Sorry your still not over what ever got you, hope you feel 100% soon.

Alea Milham said...

This looks delicious! I don't like mushy rice puddings either; I think using long grain rice is a great solution.

I hope you feel better soon.

Rocquie said...

I have been thinking about rice pudding a lot lately and this recipe has me practically drooling. Thanks for sharing with Sweets for a Saturday #7, so I could see it.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California

I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow me if you want too.

God bless you :-)

~Ron

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

I love rice pudding, but haven't made it in ages. Thanks for the recipe.

-Brenda

genesisbiosystems.com said...

Rice pudding is one of my favorites. This sounds very delicious.

mmjiaxin said...

http://www.kobesneakers.com
ray ban sunglasses outlet
http://www.huaracheshoes.uk
toms outlet store
http://www.tiffanyandcooutletonline.us.com
cheap rolex watches
basketball shoes,cheap basketball shoes,nike basketball shoes,cheap jordan basketball shoes
http://www.cheaprealjordans.us.com
michael kors handbags,michael kors handbags outlet,michael kors purses outlet,cheap michael kors handbags,cheap michael kors purses
ray ban sunglasses,ray ban outlet,ray ban sale,cheap ray bans,cheap ray ban sunglasses,ray ban sunglasses outlet,ray ban,rayban,ray bans,ray-ban,raybans,ray ban wayfarer,ray-ban sunglasses,raybans.com,rayban sunglasses,cheap ray ban
michael kors outlet clearance
michael kors outlet
cheap air jordan
fitflops outlet
cheap watches,cheap rolex watches,rolex watches for men,buy rolex online
ralph lauren online
cheap uggs
adidas nmd online
tiffany,tiffany and co,tiffany and co jewelry,tiffany necklace,tiffany bracelet,tiffany ring,tiffany earrings
tiffany and co outlet
gg

Post a Comment