Thursday, March 17, 2011

Roasted Garlic Hummus


Notice that my hummus is green for St. Patricks day. hehehe I feel so clever. Wait, let me pat myself on the back. :) If you prefer your hummus less green, just add fewer herbs or completely omit them. The last hummus recipe I shared with you had raw garlic, but this one is roasted which gives a mild flavor. I actually prefer this recipe because if you let the raw garlic hummus sit for a while, then it gets very strong. This isn't something you need to worry about with roasted garlic. 

Also, I have another clever little tip. I do not like to buy tahini because:
  1. It expires 2 weeks after opening
  2. It's expensive
  3. I never use it for anything but hummus
  4. And no, making it is still expensive because I can't seem to find cheap sesame seeds
Sooooo I replace the tahini with ALMOND BUTTER. You could probably use peanut butter as well, but use less just to be safe. Yes, almond butter is expensive, but I use it in so many different recipes, so I always have a jar. As much as I would love to pat myself on the back again, I did not come up with this brilliant little replacement. I actually got the idea from the Gluten Free Goddess

I served the hummus with homemade pita bread. Enjoy!

Peel the roasted garlic (I ended up using about 7 cloves) 
Add everything and blend
It's green!! :) 
Roasted Garlic Hummus
Serving Size = 8 or so
Serve with Homemade Pita Bread
  • 2 cups drained well-cooked or canned chickpeas (1, 15-oz can), liquid reserved
  • 1/4 cup or so of extra virgin olive oil
  • 5 - 7 cloves of roasted garlic (I roast an entire head and then add to taste)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
  • 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika 
  • 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
  • 1 lemon, juiced (very important ingredient)
  • Roughly 2 tablespoons of cilantro and 1 tablespoon of parsley (I did not measure)
  • 1 tablespoon or 2 of almond butter or tahini
  • Red pepper flakes for garnish
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Either place 7 cloves of unpeeled garlic drizzled with oil, in an aluminum foil pouch, or into a bowl (I skip the foil), or take an entire head of garlic and trim a tiny bit off the top and drizzle with oil. Roast for 15 - 20 minutes, or until soft. Remove the peel and place into a food processor.
  2. Put everything else into the processor and process until well blended (I usually drizzle in the oil while this is happening). Add the reserved chickpea liquid until it reaches desired consistency. 
  3. Taste and adjust seasoning, sprinkle of the red pepper flakes and serve.

13 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elsa,
This looks like a very delicious Hummus. I love having a dish like this when I entertain, a dish like this is always gone first. I will be sure to try your recipe which looks very good.

Miz Helen said...

Elsa...lol... it must be getting to the end of the day I clicked the button to fast. Thank you so much for coming to Full Plate Thursday and please come back! I think I was thinking about how good that Hummus was going to be.

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious addition of garlic hummus looks yummy

kitchen flavours said...

I have not tried hummus before, even though it has been on my list. You are right, tahini paste is really expensive. I made some homemade tahini paste last week, now the Almond Butter sounds really interesting. Would love to have your homemade hummus with pita bread, yummy!

Swathi said...

garlic hummus with sweet paparika sounds delicious.

Alea Milham said...

This sounds wonderful! I love how you made it green naturally. Thanks for sharing the almond butter tip - that will come in very handy!

Anonymous said...

This is why I never make hummus, I don't want to buy the tahini for the reasons you mentioned. Great substitute, thank you!

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

hummus looks yummy n mouthwatering..
first time here ,u hv a lovely space...visit mine as time permits...
sanyukta
http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

Kate said...

I'm terrible and use tahini even after it expires. oops.

Kate said...

oh and D hates pine nuts so I replace them with almonds in all recipes and I actually like the flavor better too. I'm going to try the almond butter in hummus trick. but I'm still keeping my expired tahini.

Elsa said...

I have no idea why it expires so fast, but I just never use it for much so I don't buy it. If I had it, I would use it instead, of course. And the almond butter works, but it depends how much you add. A few tablespoons works perfectly though.

Elsa said...

I have no idea why it expires fast, if kept refrigerated, I mean. :)

chenlina said...

chenlina20160126
lebron james shoes 13
louis vuitton handbags
adidas superstars
tiffany and co
coach outlet store online
tory burch sale
the north face outlet
michael kors outlet online
ugg boots
cheap air jordans
gucci outlet
ralph lauren uk
cheap air max
beats by dr dre
toms shoes
ugg outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors uk
nike trainers uk
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet online
hollister clothing
true religion outlet
cheap uggs
louis vuitton handbags
gucci shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
ugg outlett
polo ralph lauren
uggs outlet
nike roshe run women
coach outlet store online
louis vuitton handbags
abercrombie and fitch
michael kors bag
kevin durant basketball shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
jordan retro
cheap ray ban sunglasses
as

Post a Comment