Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cornbread and Cornbread Stuffed Mushrooms


I'm feeling good about my money saving post today. Remember when I made chili? Well, we had leftovers the next day and I decided that cornbread was a must. I found a recipe at a Sense of Home. Check it out! It's a super-duper-ooper-schmooper awesome blog! Did anyone get that?? Sid the Science Kid?? Super duper ooper...?? No? Nobody?? Ok, I watch too many cartoons. Anyway, the cornbread was delicious. I did mess it up though. I was in a hurry and grabbed the coarsely ground cornmeal, which resulted in a slightly undercooked cornbread. But, when I used the cornbread the next day to make stuffed mushrooms, it was perfect because I cooked it again. Great recipe, this will be my go to cornbread from now on. And the mushrooms were the best I've had and I've made tons.... and tons.

Happy holidays everyone!

Combine the dry ingredients in an adorable bowl.
Pour into the baking dish.
Best Ever Cornbread
Serving Size = 6 - 8
  • 1/3 cup of flour (I used all-purpose)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cup cornmeal (for baking)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons softened butter
  • 1 tablespoon honey
Optional (I skipped both)
  • 1/3 cup fresh or frozen corn
  • 3 tablespoons green chiles
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium size bowl (I didn't sift). Stir in the cornmeal.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, butter and honey and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Add the corn and green chiles, if using. 
  4. Pour the batter into a prepared pan (I lightly greased mine) and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the bread springs back when center is gently pressed. 
  5. Serve hot with butter.
Combine the cornbread mixture with the jalapeno and garlic.
Stuff the mushrooms.
Eat the mushrooms. :)
I didn't measure anything in this recipe, so if it's not dry enough, add more cornbread. You want the mixture to be a little dry and hold together.

Cornbread Stuffed Mushrooms
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups crumbled cornbread
  • Stuffing Mushrooms (about 8 oz)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
  • 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Remove the stems from the mushrooms. I usually put them in the refrigerator and eat them the next day for lunch, maybe in an omelet. 
  3. In a small skillet with a small amount of oil, saute the garlic and jalapeno over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. You could skip this, but I like to cook the garlic before I add it to the stuffing.
  4. In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, rosemary and cornbread. Stir in the garlic and jalapeno. 
  5. If the mixture is too dry, add some warm water. If it's too moist, add more cornbread.
  6. Spoon the mixture into the mushrooms and place on a baking sheet or glass pan. Bake for 20 minutes (mine took about 30 or 35 minutes) until brown and crisp on top.

7 comments:

Alea Milham said...

What a wonderful way to use up leftover cornbread! I cannot wait to try this! I am going to be doing a post on appetizers (because I can't remember how to spell hors d'oeuvres:-) I will link to this post. Email me if you have posted other recipes that can be used as appetizers.

Kitchen Boffin said...

looks so delicious.. how i wish i could grab one of those mushrooms ;)

Elsa said...

Great idea! I've been thinking about doing a post like that as well, so I will send any appetizer recipes that I have. And hors d'oeuvres is impossible to spell. haha

Kitchen boffin -- Thank you!! They were delicious. I've made sausage stuffed mushrooms, and they are good as well, but I'm always trying to find meat free alternatives, so this worked perfectly.

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

Your stuffed mushrooms look terrific, I will be saving this recipe. I love that they have some jalapeƱo spice in them. Glad enjoyed the cornbread.

-Brenda

kitchen flavours said...

Love your way with cornbread! Christmas greetings from Malaysia. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Have fun and enjoy!

wesan michael said...

longchamp handbags
ray ban sunglasses outlet
tiffany and co jewelry
adidas superstar
tiffany jewellery
hermes belt
jordan retro
http://www.outlettiffanyand.co
cheap oakleys

Susan said...

I am come here first time, i find the perfect article. Thanks for sharing interesting and informative post. What are some of the cheapest places to travel to in the world? From Asia to Africa and Europe, Things to do 's got budget breakdowns for the cheapest places.

Post a Comment