Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fried Whole Tilapia, Beet Risotto, Zucchini with Fennel

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I decided to make this recipe. Well, I know what I was thinking. I was trying to be brave and gain new cooking experience, but the fact is, my meal was staring at me and I found it slightly unappetizing ("give me back that fillet-o-fish" kept replaying in my head). It was very tasty though, but next time I fry a tilapia I plan on removing the head. I know a lot of people leave the head on, so it's just a matter of personal preference. One of my side dishes was beet risotto with Parmesan and it was amazing, I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, placing a red side dish next to a whole fish just made the meal look even worse. Not only was my dinner staring at me, it had also been gutted on my plate. Of course this didn't occur to me until I sat down to eat, it was another "what was I thinking?" moment. The zucchini was a nice addition though. Nothing gross crossed my mind, which was a big deal last night.
Tip: No fish smell and clear eyes are the signs of a fresh fish
Fried Whole Tilapia Recipe
  • Tilapia
  • Flour
  • Paprika (optional)
  • Salt/Pepper
  • Oil
  • Lemon/Lime
  1. Cut three slices into each side of the fish. Mix flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a large dish. Dredge the fish in the flour mixture and shake off any excess. 
  2. Place into hot oil and fry until done. 
  3. Serve with a slice of lemon or lime to squeezed over the top.
I love the color
Beet Risotto with Parmesan Recipe
Serving Size = 2
  • 1 large beet, roasted and peeled
  • 1/2 cup of risotto
  • 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon of oil
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • Parmesan cheese (to taste)
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Wash and trim the ends off of the beet, wrap tightly in aluminum foil and place into a baking dish. Bake for 1 hour or so until the beet is tender. Peel and chop into small cubes.
  2. In a medium sized pan, over medium heat, cook the garlic in the butter and oil until fragrant. Add the rice and let it cook for 2 minutes or so, stirring often. Add the chicken stock 1/2 a cup or so at a time. Stir in the beets after the first 1/2 a cup of stock. Once the stock has absorbed, add more until no more stock remains.
  3. When done, turn off the heat and stir in Parmesan to taste.
Zucchini with Fennel Seeds and Oregano
  • 1 medium zucchini, chopped
  • Oil
  • Salt/Pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon or so of fennel seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon or so of oregano
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
  1. Saute zucchini in oil over medium to medium-high heat. 
  2. When it starts to brown add the garlic, sprinkle on fennel seeds and oregano. 
  3. Cook for roughly 10 minutes and serve.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Nope. You just solidified that I don't like whole fishies. I don't mind ordering them and eating them but cooking them, not so much. You are one brave women!

Elsa said...

My husband thought I wouldn't eat it. The little eyes didn't even phase him. I feel brave after that though. hehe

Miz Helen said...

What a wonderful meal. I could just sit right down and have a serving or two of everything.
Your blog is very peaceful.
Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Haha :) That whole fish including the head would really not be my idea of an appetizing meal either! :) But I am spoiled... Joshua usually deals with the meat and I just get to enjoy it! :)

Tammy

SONDRA PRICE said...

this post wasn't THAT bad...lol, but if reaffirms to me why I don't do seafood. :)

a moderate life said...

Elsa, I love your description of your feelings on this recipe. I am a scared of fishies and seafood in general. I will eat a nice filet, but you certainly were a brave momma to make it head on! I know my dad and my uncle would have been fighting for the eyeballs and the brain--I kid you not! The beet risotto looks scrumptious and is much more up my alley, but I know a lot of folks like whole fish especially if they are wild caught by their own rods and reels. Thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week! Alex@amoderatelife

Unknown said...

Okay I have to say this is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. The food looks good and thank you for the laugh I needed it. :)

kitchen flavours said...

Found you through Brenda's. I love tilapia. Over in Malaysia, we usually eat the red tilapia. Delicious deep-fried. Glad to be your new follower! Have a good day!

Alea Milham said...

LOL! You are way braver than me! I am such a wimp that I usually try to buy fish that has been deboned and had the skin removed. The recipes all sound delicious though.

Hunger and Thirst said...

That's funny, I was thinking that it all looked quite pretty on the plate. But then again, I'm a fish head on type of person because I like fish cheeks best of all. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Elsa said...

Thanks Shanni! hehehe

Kitchen flavours, I spent some time this morning looking through your site and your recipes look delicious!! I am a follower as well and I will be trying your recipes!

Alea, I usually do that as well. It was really good, but if you're not accustomed to eating a whole fish then it can be a tiny bit uncomfortable. :)

Butterpoweredbike, I do not regret making it that way, it was an experience and it really did taste very good. :)

Elsa said...

Miz Helen, thank you so much for your nice comment!

Tammy - I was that way for a long time too. My husband would prepare the raw meats. I do it by myself now, but I obsessively wash my hands afterwards.

Casondra - Really? No seafood? I love seafood!! :)

Alex - Eyes and brains? That's too brave for me! hehe The beets were delicious though, I highly recommend them.

Christy said...

LOL - when I first saw your picture I thought - ewww gross, I have never had the pleasure of eating a whole fish eyeballs and all. I would totally try it though - cause you never know! That is how I came to be a beet fan - I just tried them! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

Heather S-G said...

I love the color of the beet risotto, too! And I actually think the tilapia loks soooo good! Love the crust, it looks awesome. Thank you for sharing this with the hearth and soul hop this week :D

Jason said...

Hello Elsa,
Telapia is one of my favorite fish. I like to eat different type of dishes with Telapia. This is a new dish I found. Thank you for sharing this.

wesan michael said...

nike zoom
adidas nmd
cheap uggs
adidas nmd
toms outlet store
cheap mlb jerseys
cheap jordans
yeezy sneakers
http://www.nikedunks.us.org
oakley vault

Post a Comment