Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce, Braised Turnips with Poppy Seeds, Lemon/Honey Carrots


Yesterday, I spent the majority of the afternoon outside with my daughter. She played with the neighbor's puppy, sat on a dirt pile, played soccer and ran around screaming and having fun --- a typical 16-month-old's day. Anyway, she completely wore me out so I was looking forward to relaxing and making dinner. And let me start by saying the mustard cream sauce was amazing --- AMAZING. I am not exaggerating. I love making sauces and this recipe reinforced why. They are quick, easy and make any meal appear super-fancy. The turnip recipe was good as well. This is the second time I've made this recipe. The first time I used store-bought turnips (good) and the second time I used home-grown turnips (bitter). The carrots were wonderful and went very well with the mustard sauce. I will be making these again.

Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce Recipe:
Adapted from The Country Cooking of France by Anne Willan p. 114
Serving Size = 3
  • 3 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts pounded thin
  • Salt/Pepper
  • 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoon of Dijon mustard (to taste)
  • 1/2 cup of heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup of chicken stock
  • Lemon zest from 1/2 a lemon
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
  1. Salt and pepper the chicken then saute in a deep skillet until done. Remove and cover to keep warm.
  2. Add chicken broth to the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan to add more chicken flavor (if you accidentally burn the stuff on the bottom of the pan, then just get a new pan and make the sauce). Add the lemon zest and butter. Allow the butter to melt, then add the heavy cream, Dijon and salt. Let it thicken for about 8 minutes over medium-low heat (a very gentle simmer), taste and adjust the ingredients. It might need more Dijon, or more chicken stock and cream to cut through the mustard flavor, etc.
  3. Pour over chicken and serve.



Braised Turnips with Poppy Seed Breadcrumbs
Original recipe by: Farid Zadi, Gourmet, 2008
Serving Size = 4 (my altered version is for 2-3)

Turnips:
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 lbs medium turnips (not Japanese), peeled and cut into 1-inch thick wedges (I used 1 lb)
  • 1 1/2 cups of water (I used 1 cup)
  • 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
For the bread crumbs:
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I used canola)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced (I used 2 or 3)
  • 1 cup fresh bread crumbs from a baguette (I used regular)
  • 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
  • 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
  1. Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, then add the turnips, lemon juice, water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cover for 30 minutes. 
  2. Increase the heat to medium and stir the turnips, continue to cook uncovered until all of the liquid evaporates (about 35 minutes).  They should be tender, glazed and still retain their shape.
  3. For the breadcrumbs, add oil to a pan and gently toast the bread crumbs with the garlic. Add the poppy seeds, parsley and stir. Pour over the turnips, mix well and serve.
The breadcrumbs really don't add that much to the meal. If you want gluten free, just skip them.


Lemon/Honey Carrots
Adapted from: Victoria Granof, Cookie, April 2008
Serving Size = 2
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 lb of peel carrots
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of honey
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  1. Melt the butter in a heavy pan over medium heat. Add the coriander and cook for 30 seconds. Add the carrots, water, honey and lemon. 
  2. Cover and let cook until tender (20 minutes or so). The recipe says mash with a fork, but I skipped it.
I am linking to Works For Me Wednesday because making dinner seem fancy by adding a simple sauce works for me!

4 comments:

SONDRA PRICE said...

This meal looks delicious!!!

Elsa said...

The cream sauce is sooooo good. I swear, when dinner was over, I considered drinking it. lol

kitchen flavours said...

This looks delicious! I love to see the different ways of cooking turnips. Most of them are really new to me, yours included. It looks wonderful, the carrots looks really good and the chicken with the sauce, yummy too! Thanks for sharing this!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a wonderful meal. I think you have as much energy as your daughter :-). I hope that all is well and that you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Post a Comment