Monday, October 4, 2010

Mexican Pizza

Burrito Pizza
In an attempt to cook a more budget friendly meal, I decided to go with a burrito pizza. My husband isn't a fan though, so I split the pizza instead of making two separate pizzas. If you want to know how to make a pizza crust and pizza sauce just click here. I am also going to include brief instructions on taco pizza and an all-of-the-above pizza because it's super-easy to make and a better option for meat-lovers. I prefer the burrito pizza to the taco pizza. The burrito pizza is milder and I can still taste the pizza. The taco pizza is a little bit stronger and closer to Mexican food, meaning some of the pizza flavor is lost.
Remember to let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes or it will shrink
PERFECTLY pre-cooked crust :)
Chop the veggies to your preferred size
Notice that I marked the different sections with olives
 Burrito Pizza Recipe
  • 1 pizza crust (18 inch - refer to link for more info)
  • 1 can of vegetarian refried beans (or any kind you prefer)
  • 1 bag of mozzarella cheese
  • 1 can of black olives
  • Pizza Sauce (refer to link for more info)
  • Veggies (I used mushrooms)
  • Tortilla chips, crushed
  • Ranch dressing (optional)
  • Salsa (optional)
(I only made a quarter of the pizza a burrito pizza, the rest is a veggie pizza: green peppers, olives and mushrooms)
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spread the refried beans onto the crust, using as much as you like. Pour the pizza sauce on top and carefully spread it out. I added mushrooms, but you could always omit this, or add something else. Add the mozzarella cheese and bake until finished.
  2. Slice the pizza. Before serving, top with crushed tortilla chips, chopped iceberg lettuce, and chopped olives. I also top mine with a bit of ranch dressing and salsa.
*Note: If you want more flavor then add a small amount of taco seasoning to the beans. I prefer my Mexican pizza mild, but it's entirely up to you.

Taco Pizza
The taco pizza requires the same ingredients, but replace the beans with cooked and seasoned taco meat. You can either buy a package of taco seasoning or make your own. Add the sauce, meat, cheese and so on.

All of the Above
Another option is to combine all of the above. Add the beans, sauce, meat and so on.

Enjoy!

I linked to Homemaker Monday!

2 comments:

Alea Milham said...

I am going to try making a gluten free version of this for our next pizza night.

Elsa said...

Great! Let me know how it works out! Do you have a gluten free pizza recipe? I would like to give it a try some time.

Post a Comment