Sunday, January 8, 2012

Carrot Cake Oatmeal


I know I should be excited and focusing on the carrot cake part of this dish, but honestly, I've never heard of adding an egg to oatmeal. Maybe I'm the only one though? I thought it was brilliant and as soon as I saw it over at OwningWellness I was excited to give it a try. My little Mimi likes to eat oatmeal for breakfast and I thought this would be a great way to sneak some egg in. Aside from the egg though, which might only be new and fascinating for me, the oatmeal also has carrot in it. Mimi actually likes carrots already, so I knew she wouldn't mind them too much in her breakfast. :) Anyway, a yummy and nutritious breakfast (and very creamy because of the egg).

And if Emmett could eat solids, I'm sure he would be all over this as well. Unfortunately, he's stuck with milk for several more months. :) By the way, his colic went away at 6 weeks and hasn't returned. Yay! He sleeps much better and is MUCH happier in the evenings. I have no complaints at all. Our room is a little on the crowded side but everyone sleeps all night..... warm, comfy, happy..... I really couldn't ask for more.



Carrot Cake Oatmeal
Serving Size = 1
Original Recipe: OwningWellness
  • 1 cup of coconut milk, or more (I used regular milk)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup grated carrots
  • 1/2 cup gluten free oats (I used old fashioned oats)
  • 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or maple syrup (I used white sugar and adjusted to taste)
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (I increased to taste)
  • 1/8 teaspoon ginger
  1. Shred the carrots. Mix together the milk and egg in a medium sauce pan and then add everything else. Mix and cook over medium-low heat. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until thick. Add more milk to thin out if desired.
  2. I served mine with a little more cinnamon and some more milk over the top.

6 comments:

Carolina HeartStrings said...

That looks so delicious. Cannot wait to try it. Come visit us today. We have the best crockpot chicken recipe on the menu!

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, I was looking at a recipe the other day that called for adding an egg to oatmeal and I had never heard of it before either. Now I'm dying to try it!

annies home said...

this sounds very interesting I think I will give it a try thanks for sharing your recipe see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

France@beyondthepeel said...

Egg in oatmeal is new to me too. I think it sounds wonderful. Carrot cake oatmeal sounds like a twist on breakfast that everyone would enjoy. Thanks for sharing it with us at WHole Food Wednesdays! I hope to see you back next week!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delightful, but how much carrot should be used? Carrots are missing from the ingredient list.

Elsa said...

Oops! 1/3 of a cup of grated carrots. Thanks for pointing that out, I completely missed it! :)

Post a Comment