Friday, December 23, 2011

Spritz Cookies


Several weeks ago I was shopping on Amazon for Christmas gifts when I saw a cookie press (Kuhn Rikon Clear Press) and thought it would be something that Mimi would enjoy working with. We made some cookies today and she loved it. She really couldn't press the cookies out of the press because it requires some strength, but she liked watching me. Her favorite part was decorating them though. I gave her red and green sprinkles and she decorated each cookie. I love that she's old enough to cook with me in the kitchen. Today, we made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. She wanted to stir the sauce, so I let her and then I tasted the sauce. Well, even though she never wants dinner, she saw me taste the sauce and so she had to taste it too. The same thing happened with broccoli not too long ago. 
I know!
A kid that eats broccoli! I was amazed too! I even called my husband in so he could see what was happening. haha!

Anyway, back to the cookies! :) They were delicious and lots of fun for the family. I'm sure Emmett will love decorating them someday as well. The press was worth the investment, although it can get a bit irritating when the cookies do not come out correctly. But since I only plan to make them on special occasions, it wasn't that bad.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dough
Make cookies and give to toddler to decorate
Tree
Star
Spritz Cookies
Serving Size = About 3 dozen cookies
Original Recipe
  • 1 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, large (needs to be large)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose)
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, vanilla, and salt. Mix until combined
  3. Slowly add the all-purpose flour, stirring slowly until just combined.
  4. Load the cookies into the press and choose which shape you want. Press onto an ungreased cookie sheet (we added colored sugar). Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
  5. Tip: I had an easier time making the cookies when the cookie sheet was a tiny bit warm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elsa, I think your cookies came out really well! They look perfect to me. I've been wanting to buy one of those presses and I think I will for next year. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Elsa said...

Thank you! I had the task for eating the ones that didn't look right.... darn the luck.... haha!
And I forgot to say this in the post, but it comes with shapes other than Christmas. I thought the flower shapes would be perfect for my daughter's birthday party next year. :)

Lisa said...

What a yummy looking holiday platter.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Elsa, your cookies look so festive. I'm sure they are delicious. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes youshare with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

Your cookies look beautiful, Elsa! You have reminded me of how much I used to enjoy using my cookie press as a kid - I'm going to have to try to find one again. Thank you for sharing this post with Let's Do Brunch.

thale said...

hop over to this website visit their website go her response visit this page go to website

Post a Comment