Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Chocolate Pudding


I've made chocolate pudding before and it didn't turn out very well. I've always assumed it was because I used cheap chocolate, but apparently not. I used Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder and it worked beautifully. I was thinking how I should post a cookie recipe since Christmas is around the corner, but ya know what? Everyone makes cookies and brings them to the Christmas party, why not take pudding instead? Not only will kids go crazy over this but adults will love it too.

And as you already know, I've been in a funk lately. I haven't been in the Christmas spirit at all and the rainy/soggy/cold/icky/nasty/cloudy weather isn't helping either. So over the weekend I decided to stop sitting around and made myself useful. I was determined to accomplish something... anything. So here's what I did:
  1. Drum roll please..... I FINALLY learned how to use my sewing machine after owning it for over a YEAR. I sewed some curtains for my kitchen. All I need to do is attach some ribbon and it will be done.
  2. I cleaned everything. The appliances, floors (washed, vacuumed), polished tables, did laundry, did the dishes... etc etc etc
  3. Last week we smoked a turkey and I put the carcass in the freezer. So I pulled it out and made several cups of turkey stock.
  4. I made outdoor decorations, more info on those can be found at my family blog.
  5. Played outside with Mimi. I felt like I hadn't been outside in ages and the weather wasn't GREAT, but it was better than normal. So we put on our coats and hats and headed outside. Lots of swinging, sliding, jumping and playing in the dirt.
And on Monday I bought stocking stuffers for the kids. Emmett also had his 2 month doc appointment and the little guy now weighs 11 lbs and is 25 inches long! He's growing up fast!
    So I did get a few things done. I'm really happy I figured out how to use my sewing machine though. I plan to buy some material later and make curtains for the living room as well. I really enjoy sewing. I'm excited to make more... stuff... whatever it will be.

    Non-GMO cornstarch, love it
    Let the pudding cool to room temperature
    Chocolate Pudding
    Serving Size = 2 cups (I recommend doubling the recipe)
    Original Recipe: The Frugal Girl
    • 2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • Pinch of salt
    • 2 cups of milk, divided
    • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
    • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
    • Water
    1. In a medium saucepan, mix together the cocoa powder and just enough water to create a smooth paste. Stir in the sugar and salt. Add 1 1/2 cups of milk.
    2. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring regularly, until it starts to boil. Go ahead and mix the cornstarch and reserved 1/2 cup of milk together.
    3. Once the mixture reaches a boil, add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly until it comes back to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
    4. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour the pudding into individual dishes or into one large bowl. Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until cold. A skin will form, so if you want to avoid this, lay a piece of plastic wrap against the top of the pudding while it's cooling.
    5. Top with whipped cream and serve.

    7 comments:

    Jenny said...

    Homemade chocolate pudding is so yummy! I make mine with unflavored gelatin instead of starch.

    Torviewtoronto said...

    dessert looks wonderful deliciously done chocolate pudding

    Unknown said...

    ooooh you're right - as a grown woman, I LOVE pudding..

    PS. I just posted a list of my to-dos/dones today as well! Weird! haha - thanks for stopping by my site!

    kitchen flavours said...

    You are one organized lady! I have not even finished wrapping up the presents, just came back a while ago to shop for the last one on the list! Hahaha!
    Lovely pudding, perfect for the festive season!
    Merry Christmas Elsa, to you and your lovely family! Happy Holidays!

    Shaheen said...

    Ooh tht's great to read about you using your sewing machine. I hope to start using my mothers soon and start making stuff.

    Love the look of this pudding.

    Miz Helen said...

    Hi Elsa,
    Chocolate Pudding is my favorite Pudding. It is so smooth and comforting to me. Oh my I think I need some right now. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. I am wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

    It sounds like you have been very busy indeed! I hope you had a lovely Christmas with your family.

    Thank you for sharing this delicious pudding recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop. There is nothing like a wonderful,comforting bowl of homemade pudding!

    Post a Comment