Thursday, December 1, 2011

Spicy Braised Beef Ribs and Potato Cauliflower Mash


Another recipe from France at Beyond the Peel. I've mentioned her blog a few times now so definitely check it out if you haven't already. Her recipes are so reliable. I always know the meal will be wonderful if it comes from her blog. As for this recipe, oh my gosh, I cannot go on about it enough. I LOVE it, hubs LOVES it, and even my picky toddler ate it and THAT is saying something. It's so easy to make too. You just put it in a pot and cook it for 2 hours or so. Simple as that.

We might even have to make this again over the weekend since you can set it and forget it. I've decided that this year we are going to make as many Christmas decorations as we can instead of buying new or just using our old ones. I have a ton of fun toddler activities lined up that I'm excited to try with my little Mimi. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post in the next week or so. :)

Saute the onions and remove from pot.
Place the meat and onions back into the pot and cover. Cook for 2 hours.
By the way, the juices in the pot are AMAZING. Loaded with flavor and
heavenly over the potatoes. Yum!
Spicy Braised Beef Ribs
Serving Size = 2 - 3
Original Recipe: France @ Beyond the Peel
Note: I did make a few changes to the original recipe such as doubling the spices, leaving out the bacon (we don't eat bacon), adding red pepper flakes, and replacing the fresh ginger with ground (I only had ground).

Dry Rub
  • 2 1/2 lbs beef short ribs (I could only find boneless beef ribs)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger (to replace the 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger that I didn't have. If you have fresh ginger then leave this out)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Pepper to taste
To Braise
  • 1 onion cut into wedges
  • 2 tablespoons Brandy (I skipped this and used beef broth instead)
  • Roughly 2 cups of beef stock
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  1. Combine the spices in a bowl and pour them over the ribs. Mix well (remember that turmeric will stain your finger nails so wash well). Set the ribs aside.
  2. Get a heavy pot, such as cast iron, and heat over medium heat. Make sure you have a tight fitting lid as well. Add some oil to the pan and saute the onions until soft. Remove the onions to a plate and set aside. Add more oil if needed. Place the ribs into the pot and brown the meat on each side. Take your time and get some nice color. Remove the ribs and set aside.
  3. Pour 2 tablespoons or so of Brandy or beef broth into the pot to deglaze. Scrap the yummy bits of flavor off the bottom. Add the meat and onions back to the pot. Sprinkle on a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional) and fill the pot with beef broth until it comes about half way up the ribs (if you have fresh ginger, add it now). If you don't have enough beef broth then add some water. Cover with the lid and turn down to a simmer. Cook for roughly 2 - 3 hours (mine took 2 hours).

The mixture should be a bit thick.
Potato Cauliflower Mash
Serving Size = 2
Note: France served hers over a cauliflower and bean mash.
  • 4 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped
  • Salt/pepper to taste
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
  • 1 tablespoon cilantro
  1. Place the potatoes and garlic into a medium pot and cover with water (cover above them since you will add cauliflower later). Boil until fork tender. In the last 10 minutes or so of the potatoes cooking, throw in the cauliflower and boil. OR you could also steam the cauliflower separately.
  2. Drain the water and smash the potato/cauliflower mixture. Season with salt to taste. Add the cilantro and mix.
  3. You shouldn't need to add any milk and it should be a little bit thick. When you place the ribs on top of the potato mixture you will also add some juice from the ribs pot, which loosens up the potatoes.

4 comments:

France@beyondthepeel said...

Hi Elsa, I'm so happy you enjoyed it. We got a lot of mileage out of it and I just LOVE braised anything. Thank you for all the kind words as well:) you're such a sweetie. All the meat was gone, but I saved the extra broth and made soup out of it. So great. I just added 1 cup of beans, heated it up and horked it down!

Unknown said...

I think I'll have this for dinner. Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to make this!

Following your lovely blog. I am also inviting you to join Autumn Blog Hop 2011 at Momma's Lounge ( http://olahmomma.com/momlounge ) where you meet more mom bloggers; shout away; add your giveaways and/or blog and business links; and get featured by sharing your crafts, recipes and interesting musings. I blog at http://olahmomma.com

Thanks and have a great day!

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

This is my kind of recipe - super comforting and delicious! Love the warming spices you have used and I like the idea of the potato and cauliflower mash too. Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites and Hearth and Soul.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Your ribs look delicious! Thanks for sharing witht the Hearth and Soul hop.

Post a Comment