Monday, November 28, 2011

Grandma's Apple Salad


I've decided to change my diet for a month or two. I hate to do this but I am going to try to give up dairy and wheat (possibly nuts too). My two favorite things in life are dairy and wheat. I eat them DAILY. But my baby boy Emmett has been having colic every night. More than likely his colic is caused by nothing and will just go away when he is around 4 months old. But just in case, I am going to change my diet to see if it helps him. I would hate to leave him suffering for months when I could have changed my diet and fixed everything. I really hope this helps him though. Fingers crossed!

Although I kind of have this feeling I will mess up and eat wheat or dairy and not realize it. We'll see though, this is all new to me.

Anyway, since my diet is changing my recipes will be changing a bit. I might still throw in some dairy and wheat since the rest of the people in my house can eat it, so don't run away screaming if you're only here for bread and cheese recipes. :) The recipe I'm sharing today is from my grandma who passed away a couple years ago. I remember eating this at every gathering she ever had and I loved it. It might be an acquired taste though because my husband hates it with all of his heart and soul. :) You be the judge though. You might be able to sub out the mayo with plain yogurt but I haven't tried it.

My inspiration to try this recipe (because I've made this and failed a few times) comes from Everyday Mom's Meals. She made a Waldorf salad and I used it as a jumping point. It worked perfectly. I'm so happy she blogged her recipe, click here to check out her lovely blog.

Grandma's Apple Salad
Serving Size = about 4
  • 3 apples
  • 1 pear
  • 2 cups grapes, halved
  • 2 tablespoons mayo
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
Note: My grandma never added pears. She also added bananas and walnuts.
  1. Mix together the mayo, lemon juice and sugar. Adjust to taste by adding more lemon juice or sugar.
  2. Chop the fruit into bite sized pieces (I didn't peel anything) and mix with the dressing. Serve cold. Also, letting the flavors blend in the fridge before serving makes the salad even better.
Linking to: Hearth and Soul

9 comments:

Krista said...

Thanks so much for the mention, and kind words. I wish you luck in your new journey! Have a great week.

Everyday Mom's Meals

Swathi said...

Delicious salad, my little one love salads.

Zoe said...

Yum! Love this simply, healthy and delicious fruit salad. Thanks for your recommendation and I will drop by to visit Every Mom's Meals.

kitchen flavours said...

Your salad looks good, my kids would love this, they love anything with mayo, especially salads!
Hope Baby Emmett is feeling better from the colic.

Kate said...

I never use mayo. I have a recipe similar to this and I use greek yogurt or lowfat sour cream. Also, have you tried any anti-gas over the counter meds?

Elsa said...

I'm not sure why my grandma used mayo. I would normally pick up yogurt as well. Since I'm avoiding dairy though, I can't use it.

We've considered over the counter meds, but I don't want to give that to him every night. We try to avoid medicine as much as possible and he isn't THAT bad that he would require it. My husband has a medical degree so you think he would promote medication, but oddly enough he doesn't. I'm going to avoid dairy and wheat for at least 2 weeks and see if there is a change after that. If there is, then I will introduce one back and so on to see which is it. I doubt either one is the problem though to be honest.

Elsa said...

Let me clarify because that didn't make sense. I haven't tried yogurt, but if this was a new recipe I would normally go with yogurt. Since I've had this with mayo my whole life though, I went with it. :) I realize it's unusual for most people though.

Alea Milham said...

I think this salad sounds great, even with mayo!

Email me if you have any recipes that you want help with making gluten free. I have a couple of different ratios of flours that I use to achieve different results. I also have book marked (but I should really transfer them to Pinterest) some great bread recipes.

I hope Emmett's colic goes away soon!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Another great recipe you have shared! Thanks for linking up with the Hearth and Soul. Best of luck to you and Emmett, hope the "cure" is found soon!

Post a Comment