Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mexican Chicken Egg Rolls


Here is a great way to use up the leftovers from the previous recipe (click here for recipe). I had one smoked chicken breast (it doesn't have to be smoked), 1/2 a bell pepper, 1/2 an onion and some corn leftover. I also had won ton wraps sitting in the fridge, so I decided to throw together some spices and came up with Mexican chicken egg rolls. If you don't have egg rolls, then you could make these into quesadillas or even put the mixture on top of some tortilla chips, top with cheese, broil, and now you have chicken nachos.

As you can see, I've given up on the diet I started. It lasted about 2 weeks, which is the amount of time it takes for the allergens to leave the system. Before 2 weeks ended, I started to notice Emmett was improving. Since it hadn't been 2 weeks yet, I assumed it was because he was approaching 6 weeks and that's when colic starts to ease up. So I started eating some of the allergens again and he's still fine. So, as I thought, it was probably just age related. Thank goodness though! The diet was brutal. It definitely made me realize that I rely way too much on dairy and wheat.

Anyway, I've decided to try out some gluten free bread as soon as I can find all of the different flours that I need. I'm not going to be gluten free, I just want to try it out..... mostly because I love to cook and I want to try new things. :)

Spice mix
Chicken and veggies
Spices added and water cooked out
Roll it up
Shallow fry

Mexican Chicken Egg Rolls
Serving Size = 9 - 12 egg-rolls
This is a leftover recipe, click here for previous recipe
Note: If you have leftover taco seasoning (click here for recipe), you could use that instead of the spice mixture below.
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • Pinch of cayenne
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • Salt/pepper to taste (maybe 1 teaspoon of salt)
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 chicken breast (smoked), shredded or finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup or so of shredded cheese (any will work: cheddar, muenster, etc)
  • 12 or so won ton wraps
  • 1/4 cup or so of water
  • Extra water to seal edges
  1. In a large pan over medium heat, saute the veggies in some oil until tender. Add chicken pieces and heat through. Add the 1/4 cup of water and spices. Add corn, mix well. Cook water out. Turn the heat off and add the cheese. Mix well.
  2. Fill won tons with about a heaping tablespoon. Dip your finger in some water and wet the edge of the entire won ton. Turn the won ton so that it's in a diamond shape. Fold the right and left edges over the filling so that they touch in the middle. Fold the edge closest to you over and roll it up. Make sure the edges are sealed. Continue with the rest.
  3. Have oil hot and ready to go. I usually do a shallow fry. Cook for a few minutes per side until golden brown, watch carefully. When done, drain on a paper towel.
  4. I served mine with lettuce and sour cream.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a creative and delicious recipe.

Post a Comment