Sunday, October 2, 2011

Cilantro French Bread


It's time for me to welcome a new member to our family. Baby Emmett? Nope, not yet!

A beautiful, made in America, hand thrown chip and dip set. We all know I love pottery. I REALLY love American pottery though and I've been trying to beef up my collection a bit. The reason I love it isn't just because I'm supporting small businesses in the US but because they match everything I own. Really. Most US pottery that I find only uses about 3 or 4 colors, which means it's super easy to match it up with my hand painted, extremely bright, very busy, international pottery. My collection is made up mostly of American pottery and accented with pottery from different countries (Morocco and Mexico mostly).

Ta da!
I love that the bowl can be removed, leaving a big platter
I'm trying to be artistic :)

Anyway, I LOVE it so expect to see it often. :) I want to make some type of fruit dip next.

As for the bread, that turned out pretty well too. I've seen a recipe similar to this on Bon Appetit, but instead of following their bread recipe I just made French bread and rolled the herbs up inside of it. I definitely prefer it dipped in hummus than as a stand alone bread. For the hummus, I left out the paprika and cilantro. I also used tahini since I recently found a brand that doesn't cost a fortune or expire in 2 minutes.

Mix the herbs and oil 
Spread onto the bread and sprinkle on the sesame seeds
Roll up the bread
Cilantro French Bread
  • 1 cup of cilantro and parsley (mostly cilantro, a bit of parsley - or skip the parsley all together)
  • 3 tablespoons of oil (EVOO)
  • Sesame seeds to taste
  • French Bread Recipe (I used bread flour and halved the recipe. By the way, I need to write a new review for this bread because the more I make it the more I love it.)
  1. Chop up the cilantro and optional parsley. Add the oil and mix. After you roll out the French bread, spread the herbs across the bread evenly. Sprinkle on the sesame seeds (as much as you like) and roll the bread up. 
  2. Continue with the rest of the French bread recipe.
Hummus
  1. I left out the paprika and herbs. I also used tahini instead of a nut butter substitute.