Thursday, September 29, 2011

Crab Puffs (a MUST try)


Last week I found the best coffee cake and today I give you the best appetizer.

Crab puffs.

I saved this recipe ages ago but never got around to making them. My friend made lobster cheese bites for a birthday party (I'm guessing they are a lobster/cheese combination with breadcrumbs and baked, possibly? Or deep fried? I haven't tried them) and it reminded me to try this recipe. They are very similar to making cream puffs but you're less likely to mess these up. Cream puffs can collapse, these won't as easily. Don't open the door when they are cooking though, just to be safe. Since the dough is almost the same as cream puffs, I went ahead and took the same short cut by mixing in the eggs with my Kitchenaid Mixer. It saves your arm, trust me.

What's great about these puffs is they taste good hot but taste just as good (if not better) at room temperature, so they are the perfect appetizer to take to a party. The outside is golden brown and when you break them open they are full of ooey-gooey-cheesy goodness. Holy moly, out of this world I tell ya. My husband and I gobbled them up immediately (even my toddler ate some which is rare). Another plus is that they taste great with canned crab meat. We do not have access to fresh crab but if you do then feel free to use that instead.

A must try. Trust me! :)

Mix the dough until a ball forms, then leave for 5 minutes 
Spoon the dough onto the greased pan 
Bake until golden brown

Crab Puffs
Serving Size = About 4 dozen (I had 3 1/2 dozen)
Original Recipe
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of water
  • 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
  • 1 tablespoon ground mustard
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I used wayyyy more, maybe 5 or 6 splashes, but adjust to taste)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups (8 oz) shredded Swiss cheese (I used my food processor. I normally do not care for Swiss, but I LOVE it in this recipe)
  • 1 can (6 oz) drained crab meat, flaked and cartilage removed
(Have everything prepped and ready to go)
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a large baking sheet.
  2. In a medium saucepan, bring the water, butter, mustard, salt, cumin, and hot pepper sauce to a boil. Add the flour all at once and stir quickly until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
  3. Pour the dough into a mixer and with the flat beater start stirring. Add the eggs one at a time until combined, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until smooth and shiny (it will thicken as well). Stir in the crab meat and cheese.
  4. Drop rounded teaspoon fulls 2 inches apart onto the greased baking sheets (mine were more like tablespoons). 
  5. Bake for 23-26 minutes (26 for my tablespoon sized puffs) or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm.
*Update: These do taste good out of the freezer as well. Just preheat the oven at 350F and bake for about 15 minutes or until the middle is hot.

24 comments:

Ez said...

Oh man these look so so so good!!

Gloria Baker said...

Look delicious and Im hungry!!!LOL

Unknown said...

Oh, Y-U-M-M-O!! I'm PINNING this recipe so I remember to try it :)

Blessings!
Gail

Unknown said...

YUM! Thanks so much for linking this up to Friday Potluck... I don't know what I want this more for - breakfast, lunch or dinner. :)

Mandi said...

Ooooh!!!! These look delicious!!! I'm going to make these soon! :) I would love it if you would stop by my blog to say hi! I'm featuring a recipe for pumpkin pancakes today! They're yummy and super easy. :) I hope you're having an awesome day!

Mandi at BBM

France@beyondthepeel said...

These look great! These would make a great party appetizer. I'll have to try these out next Friday on our guests.

Alea Milham said...

I lived in the Chesapeak area for 3 years and never picked up a good crab puff recipe. Your crab puffs look gorgeous. I am having a dinner party next week and think I may add these to the menu. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe with the Gallery of Favorites.

Heather S-G said...

Mmmmm, crab puffs! These look really amazing...definitely must try :D

Kate said...

Do you think these would freeze well for the wedding?

Elsa said...

I have no idea, I was wondering the same thing (well, not the wedding part). I don't see why not though. I was planning to test it out some day.

Elsa said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I hope you like them! They are a huge hit in our house and so simple to make.

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Super! This sounds delicious!

Alison said...

These look so awesome! I am definitely putting these on my list of things I must make this fall.

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

Your crab puffs sound like the perfect appetizer! They look so yummy, and I love that they are good cold too. Thank you for sharing them with the Gallery of Favorites.

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

These crab puffs look deeeeelicious, Elsa. I am happy to feature them at Savvy HomeMade Monday this week! Thank you for linking up!

janice15 said...

Elsa, these look and sound amazing. Cant wait to try them ...thank you for sharing such great recipes... with love Janice

margaret said...

Just made these and they are so yummy that I am afraid that they won't even make it to the party!

Elsa said...

I am so glad you enjoyed them! When I make them for parties, we also tend to eat most of them before the party. :)

Unknown said...

15919meiqing
new balance outlet
football shoes
louis vuitton borse
moncler outlet
uggs boots on sale
adidas originals
insanity workout
pandora bracelets
cheap uggs boots
nike roshe runs
juicy couture
mont blanc pens
michael kors handbags
ralph lauren uk
timberland boots
polo ralph lauren
ugg boots
north face
christian louboutin shoes
louis vuitton handbags
ralph lauren outlet
instyler max
coach factory outlet
coach outlet canada
ralph lauren
cheap jordans
kate spade
ugg boots clearance
instyler curling iron
cheap oakley sunglasses

Obat Untuk Penyakit TBC said...

This article is interesting and useful. And let me share an article about health which insha Allah will be very useful if we use it again for others.

Obat Untuk Mengobati penyakit osteoarthritis
Cara Mengobati Penyakit Gula Darah

Cara Mengobati Rematik said...

thank you very helpful article. allow me to join to share health articles with your article hopefully useful.

Pengobatan Epilepsi Dengan Bahan Alami

Obat Penyakit Intususepsi said...

Thank you, the article is very petrifying, hopefully it can be useful for everyone.

Pantang Menyerah said...

Given article is very helpful and very useful for my admin, and pardon me permission to share articles here hopefully helped :

Cara menyembuhkan pembengkakan hati
Cara menurunkan trombosit tinggi
Walisongo herbal
Cara mengobati kanker hati stadium akhir
Cara mengobati malaria dengan cepat
Obat Step Tradisional

yanmaneee said...

kobe
golden goose sneakers
hermes
golden goose
kobe shoes
kyrie spongebob
supreme
supreme new york
air jordans
kd shoes

Post a Comment