Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Panera Broccoli and Cheese Soup (with Chicken)


I've tried several broccoli/cheese soup recipes and this is the only one that has turned out very well. I am used to the Velveeta version, but since I want to avoid Velveeta (and have for some years now) it's been a struggle to find a soup that competes. In my opinion, this one competes and surpasses the Velveeta. I was afraid the amount of sharp cheddar would make the soup almost bitter, but it didn't at all.

I did add chicken to the soup, which is unusual. I woke up in the morning, pulled some chicken out of the fridge to thaw, went to work, and then decided I wanted soup. Soooo..... I figured I would just combine the two. My husband likes the soup better with the chicken but I prefer the soup without the chicken.

I served French bread with this soup.

And only 4 more weeks until baby Emmett arrives! I'm excited to see him but stressed about getting things done. I'm actually going to make some meals in advance and freeze them. My husband assured me that he can handle the cooking, and I'm 110% sure he can, but I think we will all be tired and it would be nice to have a few heat and eat meals.

Here's the frozen food plan so far:
  1. Pancakes for breakfast
  2. Sausage for pizza
  3. Pizza crusts (personal sized, 6 or 10 inch)
  4. Lasagna
  5. Bread
  6. Fried chicken tenders
That's all the ideas I've had so far. Any suggestions??

Cook the chicken
Cook the flour
Add the half and half and chicken stock
Add the veggies
Add the cheese
Panera Broccoli and Cheese Soup (Optional Chicken)
Serving Size = 4
Original Recipe
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
  • Oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup melted butter (unsalted)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 lb fresh broccoli
  • 1 cup carrots, julienned
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  1. In a large stock pot (I used my favorite purple cast iron one) over medium heat add some oil, cook the chicken, and then remove. Add a touch of chicken stock to the pan just to deglaze it a bit, scraping the bottom as it evaporates. 
  2. Add about 1 tablespoon of butter and a little more oil. Toss in the onions and saute. Remove the onions from the pot.
  3. Add the 1/4 cup of butter to the stockpot and melt, then add the flour. Whisk constantly for 3 - 5 minutes, or until the flour cooks. Stir in the half-and-half. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes (I think I simmered for 10 or 15 minutes). I had to add about 1/2 cup more of the cream and 1/2 cup more of the broth.
  4. Add the broccoli, carrots, onions, and chicken. Cook over medium low heat for 20 - 25 minutes or until the veggies are cooked. Add the nutmeg and salt/pepper to taste.
  5. If you skipped the chicken then you can puree the soup but I prefer not to.
  6. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat and serve with bread.

13 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely combination of flavours

Zoe said...

This chicken soup has a great combination of flavours and vegetables. I would be craving for this soup too...*drool*

Jessica said...

This looks and sounds delicious! I'm pinning this so I can make it later :)

France@beyondthepeel said...

Broccoli and cheese soup with cream...Yup can't go wrong there:)

Unknown said...

So funny your soup is the one recipe I read from Full Plate Thursday! Looks delish!

Miz Helen said...

This is a great way to welcome fall. Your soup looks deliciious Elsa. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week end!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen

Bake Up, Little Suzy said...

I've been experimenting with cheese soups, and have found the ones without processed cheese to be gritty, especially when re-heated. You didn't have this issue? Your soup looks delicious!

Elsa said...

Yes, it does get a bit gritty the next day. I would recommend eating it the same day. It isn't gritty the same day, like some are.... I had that same problem as well.

Kirsten Harr said...

Oh man, I LOVE Panera soup. Do you mind if I feature you in my new series 100 recipes from 100 blogs? You can read more about it here: http://www.theforeigndomestic.com/2012/01/from-your-kitchen-to-mine-100-recipes.html

Kirsten Harr said...

I featured your soup today! http://www.theforeigndomestic.com/2012/02/from-your-kitchen-to-mine-recipes-26-30.html.

Soo good. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

roshe run
football shirts
longchamp outlet
winter jackets
tiffany and co jewelry
thomas sabo uk
cyber monday deals
chanel outlet
soccer jerseys
oakley sunglasses
gucci handbags
wellensteyn jackets
jordan shoes
montblanc pens
moncler outlet
ugg sale
the north face clearance
kobe bryant shoes
louis vuitton handbags
nike air max shoes
nfl jerseys wholesale
ralph lauren shirts
ray ban sunglasses
gucci
michael kors bags

iklan baris gratis said...

I want to try this recipe, thanks for posting it.

wesan michael said...

coach outlet online
nike dunks
vera bradley outlet
air jordan retro
michael kors handbags
tiffany and co outlet online
kobe bryant shoes
cheap jordan shoes
cheap nfl jerseys
michael kors outlet online

Post a Comment