Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Coconut Basboosa


First of all, Happy Ramadan to all of the readers that celebrate this holiday. And if you don't celebrate it, well, you can still make some themed meals. I do it all the time (you would be shocked by the number of holidays we celebrate in this house). You can explore the world with cooking, it's exciting (I know, I'm a dork). Anyway, I love North African/Middle Eastern cuisine so I'm looking forward to sharing several recipes with you this month. The first is coconut basboosa. There are many ways to make this dessert and by many, I mean endless. This version is wonderful though, especially served with coffee. It's very dense, thick and believe it or not it isn't overly sweet. Yes, it's a dessert so it's sweet, but I thought it would be over-the-top, rot your teeth sweet, but it isn't. I DO recommend serving it with whipped cream though. For some reason, that made a huge difference and I loved it.

Beat the eggs and sugar
Stir in the coconut
Pour into pan
Dense and delicious, especially with coffee!
Coconut Basboosa
Serving Size = 8
Original Recipe: ya salam cooking
  • 3 cups shredded coconut (I used sweetened and had to use 1 cup of flakes)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup semolina flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Grease a 9-inch pan and preheat oven to 350F
  2. Beat the sugar and eggs until pale and fluffy. Add the butter, milk and vanilla. Then add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Pour in the coconut and stir.
  3. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30 minutes (mine took closer to 45 minutes). Check the middle with a toothpick. The top will not get very golden brown, but the edges will, so keep an eye on it towards the end.
  4. Serve with whipped cream.
Linking to: Hearth and Soul

12 comments:

Patty said...

Elsa this looks delicious! I love coconut with anything! I think I like it just as much as cinnamon and chocolate!!

Alea Milham said...

One of the things I love most about living on or near Navy bases is that sailors bring home spouses from around the world. And that means that in every neighborhood we have lots of extra holidays to celebrate! I show up for every celebration even the Brits good riddance party on the 4th of July. :) I really appreciate the religious celebrations we have been included in and our friends willingness to share their beliefs and culture with us.

Your coconut basboosa looks wonderful. I love coconut and I think I can substitute coconut flour and make this recipe gf. Thanks for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop. I look forward to reading more of your recipes.

Annie Jones said...

This looks delightful! Can't wait to make it.

France@beyondthepeel said...

I've never heard of coconut basboosa, but I already know I'd love it. I little place i used to love to frequent, would make a coconut pie and the filling looked exactly like this. I like coconut cream pie too, but this was so different than all the others I had had before. I liked it so much, I would go once a month for a dose of coconut goodness. This will be fun to try and see if this is one and the same filling.

Swathi said...

Delicious, I am a fan of this, usually buy them from Middle eastern store. Now I have recipe, I can make them. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

Anonymous said...

I too love North African/Middle Eastern cuisine. I've heard of basboosa, but have never made it. I love coconut too so would definitely enjoy this dessert. Looking forward to more recipes like this this month!

Tadka Pasta said...

This looks wonderful, a really decadent dessert!

Abby said...

This looks so good! I think it's worth pretending that I celebrate Ramadan so I'll have an excuse to try this!

Elsa said...

Thanks everyone!! And Alea, that is so interesting. I think it's especially nice for your children. They are exposed to so many different cultures. I really want that experience for my children as well.

I'm actually going to post another basboosa recipe in the future as well. This one was very good, but it is a dry version. The one I am used to has a syrup poured over it, so it does give a very different texture. :) The great thing about this recipe is there are so many different versions to choose from!

Lisa~~ said...

This looks really wonderful, I'll have to give it a try.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Unknown said...

discover this wigs,hair pieces for women,cheap wigs,human hair toppers,wigs,costume wigs,cheap wigs human hair,Lace Wigs,Lace Wigs look at here now

thosit said...

click this over here now browse around this web-site Extra resources check here over here my blog

Post a Comment