Monday, January 10, 2011

Lemon Cranberry Scones


I found this recipe at A Sense of Home. I've made her recipes before, so I knew this one would be good. I made it for breakfast, which was perfect since it isn't too sweet. My only suggestion is to make sure all of the ingredients are ready to go before you begin. I even mixed together the eggs and cream and put them back in the refrigerator until I needed them -- same with the butter.

Meet Louann and Vincent

Louann and Vincent keep me company while I cook. It never occurred to me until now, but they're a bit creepy. It's so adorable when I tell my toddler to go get Vincent and Louann and she runs around the house looking for them and brings them to me. hehe I love babies.

Zest a lemon
Baking powder and salt
Cranberries and sugar
Flour mixture
Rounds cut out with a glass

Lemon Cranberry Scones
Serving Size = 16 (I had 12)
  • 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar, plus 3 tablespoons additional if using fresh cranberries (mine were fresh)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) of cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 1/4 cups fresh cranberries, chopped coarse, or 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries or cherries
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
Note: These scones are lighter than most and will spread slightly while baking.
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. In a small bowl, toss together the fresh cranberries and sugar, set aside. If using dried fruit, then just add directly to the flour mixture below.
  3. In another bowl, lightly beat the egg and yolk and stir in the cream.
  4. In a food processor, pulse the flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and zest until it resembles a coarse meal. 
  5. Transfer to a large bowl and add the egg mixture and cranberries. Stir together until just combined.
  6. On a well floured surface, pat the dough out to 1-inch thick rounds (about 8 inches in diameter) and with a 2-inch round cutter (or triangle cutter) or rim of a glass dipped in flour, cut as many rounds as possible, re-rolling scraps until done.
  7. Arrange rounds 1-inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in the middle of the oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until pale golden.
  8. Serve scones warm with creme fraiche or whipped cream. Scones keep, individually wrapped in plastic wrap and foil, chilled 1 day or frozen 1 week.

3 comments:

Swathi said...

You have cute company for cooking. this tangy scones looks delicious

Brownieville Girl said...

Love those scones!

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

Your scones look terrific, wish I had some left I could go for one right now.

-Brenda

Post a Comment