Saturday, January 29, 2011

Kale, Turnip Mashed Potatoes with Crispy Shallots


Oh my gosh, I am Cranky McCranky pants today. Don't you just love my toddler talk?
I am a relaxed, easy-going kind of person --- except when I visit my sister and then I complain endlessly. But lately stress has been weighing me down and today I am just irritated.

This is how I feel. :)
I miss the following:
  1. Hot, burst in to flames, burn to death weather
  2. Sitting outside on my swing, reading a book
  3. Picking fresh food from my garden
  4. Vacations, adventures and new cultures
  5. Anthropology --- Nothing expands your mind more than an anthro class
I want the following:
  1. A residency program for my husband
  2. A 10 hour nap
  3. Produce that never goes bad
  4. A larger house....
  5. .... next to a huge lake (even though lakes give me the creeps)
Maybe I can get all of this at the store today. Hmmm....

Ok, the recipe today is short and sweet. I would like to name the recipe "the best mashed potatoes on Earth" but that's not descriptive enough --- but very true.

Enjoy!

Thinly slice the shallot.
Add to the oil and cook for 35 minutes.
Drain on a paper towel.
Saute the kale and garlic.

Kale, Turnip Mashed Potatoes with Crispy Shallots
Serving Size = About 3
  • 4 - 5 small potatoes, peeled
  • 1 large turnip, peeled
  • 1 shallot, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 bunch of kale, stems removed, thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Salt/Pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup or so of milk
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (to taste)
  • Oil
  • Butter
  1. Start by frying the shallots. Place about 3/4 cup or so of oil into a medium saucepan. I didn't measure it, but the shallots should be covered completely by the oil, like deep frying. The temperature needs to be around 220F or 240F, but it should never go above 260F. It should simmer and slowly fry. I used a thermometer and watched it. Once the oil reaches 220F, go ahead and add the shallots. Let them fry for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown. When done, remove from the oil and onto a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
  2. Cube the potatoes, place into a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender. Cube the turnip and place into a medium saucepan, cover with cold water and cook until fork tender. OR, if you are lazy like me, just place the turnip and potatoes in the same saucepan and cook. Just make sure you make the turnip cubes smaller than the potato cubes because the turnip cooks slower. Yeah, you might have a few lumps with this method, but it doesn't bother me.
  3. Place about 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium pan over medium heat. After it heats up, add the minced garlic and immediately add the kale. Stir, and keep stirring frequently for a few minutes, until the kale softens (add a touch of salt). Remove from heat.
  4. Drain the potatoes and kale, mash them with a potato masher. Add a few tablespoons of butter, mash up until melted. Add the milk and stir. Season with salt/pepper (not too much salt, remember the cheese). Mix in the kale/garlic mixture and the Parmesan cheese. Stir well. When ready to serve, top with the crispy shallots.

12 comments:

Swathi said...

This crispy shallots and mashed potatoes are calling my name. Looks delicious Elsa.

Amelia@SavoryandSweet said...

This sounds really good I'm going to have to try it.
I love you lists--I can't wait until it's garden season. :)

Kristen said...

This is such a good idea. I think I am going to have to make something like this this week. Hope the Cranky McCranky feeling passes :-)

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really is a lovely recipe. Crispy shallots are a popular condiment in Asian cooking. It's nice to see them also used in recipes such as your.I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

aipi said...

Now after seeing your post, I am hungry again after a heavy lunch. Sigh!


US Masala

Desi said...

This does look yummy! I am stopping by from Miz Helen's blog awards... congrats!

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

These look really delish, like really good comfort food. With the cold and snow that is what I need.

-Brenda

HollyC said...

This looks so good! I could use a little comfort food today! I awarded you the Stylish Blogger award, but then saw where Miz Helen did too. I guess great minds think alike and we both think your Stylish! Here's wishing you a stress free day!
Blessings,
~Holly

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment