Monday, January 31, 2011

Buffalo Wings and Blue Cheese Dip


A few of my favorite things in life:
  1. The colors red, burnt orange, plum/eggplant and pink
  2. Tom Petty
  3. My purple cast iron stock pot
  4. My red kitchenaid mixer (especially now that it doesn't shake all over the place)
  5. And Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Dip
I love Buffalo wings and I'm proud to say I've made by husband an addict as well. We ate them two nights in a row. No, they weren't leftovers. I went through the trouble of making them twice. We both have an obsession and we need help. I'm not sure we'll ever eat anything else again. I'll just have to keep re-posting this on my blog. ;)

Here is my purple stockpot. I know, I have a red one as well. Why do I need two? Because it's purple of course! hehehe


Ok, here are the recipes. I'm really proud with how the chicken fried ---- very beautiful color, moist inside, not oily, and a nice crunch. And the blue cheese dip is wow. I couldn't find a better recipe, so I sulked a bit and went with this one and it is THE one. So very, very good, trust me.

Heat the oil to 375F.
Mix together the flour and seasonings.
After cooking for 15 minutes, this is what you have.
Tabasco sauce. 
Simmer the butter, Tabasco, garlic powder and some salt. 
Set it aside until you are ready to coat the chicken.

Buffalo Wings
Serving Size = 10 wings
  • Oil for deep frying (the wings should be covered)
  • 1/4 cup butter (I used unsalted)
  • 1/4 cup hot sauce (I used Tabasco, but I will attempt making my own in the future)
  • 1 dash ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon plus 1 dash of garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 10 chicken wings, cut up with tips removed
  1. Mix together the flour, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Drop the wings in the flour mixture and mix until coated. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours (I refrigerated mine for 1/2 an hour). 
  2. Heat some oil in a large stockpot and using a thermometer heat the oil to 375F. Drop the chicken in, but do not over crowd. Cook them for 10 - 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and place on a plate with a paper towel to absorb the oil. Keep doing this until all of the chicken is cooked.
  3. While cooking the chicken, start the sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, place the butter, hot sauce, dash of garlic powder and salt to taste. Simmer until combined (it will combine as soon as it comes to a simmer almost). Mix well and set aside.
  4. When the chicken is done, stir the sauce and pour over the chicken, mix well and serve.

Blue cheese dip.

Blue Cheese Dip
Original Recipe
Serving Size = 2 1/2 cups (you will want to cut this in half, or more, if you are only making 10 wings)
  • 3/4 cup sour cream (plain yogurt works as a replacement)
  • 1 1/3 cups mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (I didn't measure, I just crumbled as much as I wanted)
  1. In a large bowl, mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise and Worcestershire. 
  2. Mix in the spices and blue cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. I didn't refrigerate mine for 24 hours. I served mine immediately, and it was still tasty. I honestly didn't notice much of a difference after 24 hours.

10 comments:

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

YUM, you are so dedicated to a recipe! Great job, and by the way, my daughter would love your cast iron (purple) stockpot!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

These look excellent! Please submit it to BSI Blogger Secret Ingredient this week! I'm hosting and the ingredient is HOT SAUCE. This would be perfect. Details are on my blog!

Swathi said...

I want to try that blue cheese dip. looks delicious.

April J Harris said...

What a wonderful recipe - yum! And I love your purple stock pot - purple is one of my favorite colors too. Thank you for linking up to Feed Me Tweet Me - I've followed your lovely blog :) Hope to see you again this Friday! Have a great week!

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

Cast iron pots are the best and those chicken wings look very good. With blue cheese, yum! I didn't have a recipe for blue cheese dip, thanks.

-Brenda

Michelle @ On and Off My Plate said...

The perfect super bowl party dish! And love the purple...my Le Creuset is a boring bone color!

Alea Milham said...

Your wings and dip look fantastic! You are going to have a lot more people addicted to your Buffalo wings!

Katerina said...

These chicken wings look divine. My husband would go crazy with the blue cheese dip. He loves this type of cheese!

Unknown said...

just in time for superbowl! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club...can't wait to dig my teeth into some tasty wings!

Farrah said...

My husband loves buffalo chicken tenders that are fried and dripping with sauce. My recipe is very similar to this.

Post a Comment